Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commute times, Auck CBD from North Shore!

Default Commute times, Auck CBD from North Shore!

Hi Everyone,

I've been searching the forums and seeing how long it takes to commute to the CBD from the North Shore.

In particular, my wife and I really like the Browns Bay area. Does anyone have any experience commuting into the CBD (Say Albert Park side)? If so...
    - How long does it take in peak hours?
    - What are the peak hours?
    - How do people travel? Cycle, car, bike, bus, ferry?

Your thoughts would be very welcome... thank you!

Try the journey planner here - it's usually pretty accurate:

http://www.maxx.co.nz/

the traffic at peak times is hurrendous, we were stuck in it the other day, I'd say an hour and a half

If you hit the bridge must after 7am forget it for starters!

Did have a big detailed post layed out - then our internet went down

Basically, you're on the main commute route into Auckland from the North.
    Have a look at the transit webiste - cameras N1 through N5 will show you what's going on at commute time. Lots of people try and start early, so yeah - you'll be in the queue for the bridge from 7am onwards.

If your office is within walking distance of the ferry terminal - I'd consider driving to Devonport or Bayswater rather than trying to hack through the last (and slowest) section of traffic.

Dougie

My OH does that journey (Browns bay to albert park) it takes him about 40 - 50 minutes depending on which bus he catches. There is an express which is quite quick. There are about 4 different busses that do the route and he doesn't seem to mind it. They run often about every 10 mins and start quite early. He leaves at 0645 and they run quite late.

I don't think you can cycle over the bridge so unless you cycled to Devenport and caught the ferry (don't think it would be very realistic) it is not possible to cycle, and the busses use a dedicated lane so avoids a lot of the traffic.

HTH

Hels

We live in Waiake (Torbay) 2mins from Browns bay. As mentioned you can get the bus from Albany or Constellation bus stations (park and ride) I work 150m from the sky tower. I ride in on a scooter and it takes 25 mins door to door and that's leaving at 7am. Occasionally drive in and that takes 40mins door to door. Personally i think it is just as quick living in browns bay / torbay area as it is closer to the city as you have good access to SH1 further down the bays it can take a long time just getting on the motorway. Takapuna for example it can 20mins just to get on the SH1. + don't get hung up about the bridge, i find at 7:20ish when i cross there are little or no hold ups. The worst traffic i find is after the bridge going past the centre.

Browns bay area is a great place to live don't let the doom and gloom mungers put you off.

is it easy/costly to park your scooter in the CBD?

Plenty of places to park your motorbike/scooter. There are some on road bike parks dotted around + you can park for free in most multistorey car parks, you will find bike in all the odd bits of space not suitable for car parking. Easy to park and best of all free.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonelsa56 View Post
    We live in Waiake (Torbay) 2mins from Browns bay. As mentioned you can get the bus from Albany or Constellation bus stations (park and ride) I work 150m from the sky tower. I ride in on a scooter and it takes 25 mins door to door and that's leaving at 7am. Occasionally drive in and that takes 40mins door to door. Personally i think it is just as quick living in browns bay / torbay area as it is closer to the city as you have good access to SH1 further down the bays it can take a long time just getting on the motorway. Takapuna for example it can 20mins just to get on the SH1. + don't get hung up about the bridge, i find at 7:20ish when i cross there are little or no hold ups. The worst traffic i find is after the bridge going past the centre.

Browns bay area is a great place to live don't let the doom and gloom mungers put you off.
    At last. Someone with a realistic view of Auckland travel! I travel the route regularly as a professional driver - cross the harbour bridge and much of Auckland and the surrounding areas - as yet I have not really come across any real difficulties. There are obviously 2 times of the day that you need to try and avoid but, even then, the traffic does move. The only problems that seem to occur are when it rains as traffic can build up for some reason. The other issue is when there is some sort of work going on on the roads. This seems to upset the whole flow of things as it would appear that the general Kiwi driver does not like change and finds it hard to adjust to any diversion or change in road layout! This has the effect of drivers maintaining what they believe to be their usual route and getting confused when they have to change lanes etc! The road layout in Manukau City for instance has recently changed with access to the motorway changing from one side of the road to the other. There are huge diversion signs, warnings of road change and large signs indicating which lane to get in - albeit they should have actually put them a little earlier in the road - but this has caused so much confusion its unreal! It is quite funny to watch however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast