Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad news?

Default Bad news?

Had an email this morning from my new NZ (accredited) employer - visa secured yesterday - basically saying that 'there have been some recent developments at XXXXX that we feel we need to make you aware of, therefore our Human Resources Adviser XXXXXX XXXXXX will be calling you to discuss this in detail on Sunday evening at 9.00pm UK time'.
    Obviously it's too late now for me to call them or get a reply to an email as they've finished for the weekend. I was waiting for them to come back to me with a start date.
    I'm obviously thinking the very worst; that they've pulled the job. Job was offered back on 16th December and I've signed the contract of employment. The job is not for a commercial business (it's local government) - I'm clinging to a hope that this makes some difference.
    Not sure after all the OH has been through to getting close to having his visa secured, I can even tell him that I've had this email yet
    Any insight to give that won't make me feel even worse than I do now?

I wish I could offer some insight but I wanted to send a big cuddle for you all over what I am sure will be a really difficult weekend. It may not be that the job has gone, just that the role has been changed..... I shall instruct all the kids' teddies to cross their paws for you. Can you plan a busy weekend to make it go more quickly?

((((()))))

Not what you want hanging over you on a weekend. Have no advice to offer you either, but I'll keep everything crossed.

Lx

thanks ladies, hugs are just what I needed
    have been trying to compile a list in my head of what could be happening - it currently includes: withdrawing the offer completely, change of role, change of workplace, lesser role (and less money - as long as it's more than $55k I don't care!), bigger role; more money (hah!), not going to pay the relocation costs, wanting me to start in two weeks (or very soon), don't want me to start until much later (budget concerns maybe). Who knows, I'm just torturing myself now
    will busy myself with decluttering this weekend (and maybe a small peek and NZ job sites
    On a good note OH has appointment with the dr on Tuesday night to get his results from Wednesday's endoscopy and there's still an outside chance he'll get the report today on email as well
    Haven't told him yet, he's been under enough stress as it is.

It is probably just govt making sure t's are crossed and i's are dotted.
    OH was told something similiar, for the govt position he has been offered (HR needed to clarify some changes) and it was really nothing to worry about, there had been some re-structuring and the some of the duties would be different. Hope its just the same for you! We've had ups and downs with emails too, and having to wait over the weekend...one even said the 'offer had lapsed', when it hadn't, so try not to worry (I know easier said than done!). Good luck!

-------------------------
    still trying to sell the house so OH can start work in Welly in June...

Oohh you could do without this over the weekend.

Hope that it works out for you

(((( )))

thanks for all the hugs and good advice. I know that there's nothing I can do as I don't even know what it is they want to say yet think that's the problem. I'm the sort of person that likes to know exactly what the issue is, so that we can think through how we can handle it. It's the not knowing what I'm dealing with that is frustrating.
    Also, our CO has confirmed this afternoon that my OH's endoscopy report has been referred to an Medical Assessor (who will be picking it up on Monday) and CO said it will take a week to get the assessment completed. My OH works for an insurance co. and showed his report to one of the medical underwriters this afternoon, who said in term of it's content, he couldn't see anything that would ring alarm bells. Not proof that the MA will okay it, but at least a little comfort?
    Right, now: what's for dinner?

I want to say 'they wouldn't need to "discuss in detail" the withdrawal of an offer' but I'm worried that if I do I will be proved wrong.
    It's very naughty of them to leave this hanging all weekend.
    I wonder when the NZ tax year starts? maybe they want to delay your start till then?
    Fingers (and teddy's paws) crossed for you.

I kind of agree with you about the wording used. Also, why say 'we feel you need to be aware' ? But I am quite a literal person and do tend to analyse every word that someone writes to me And that only works if the person writing has specifically chosen the words they've written to convey a certain thing and not just written anything! I agree that the timing is awful, but I don't think that could have been helped. The email was sent at 4.30pm Friday (NZ time) so 3.30am Friday here, so whereas she would have normally phoned me, as she has done in the past, I think she felt she had to write to warn me that I was getting a phone call on Sunday night (Monday am NZ time) in case I was out. Doesn't she know that Sunday 9pm for me means ironing and watching Lost??
    Right that's it, going to sit down and watch a film with the family now and try to keep busy this weekend. Thanks for the support everyone.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast