Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of living as an international student

Default Cost of living as an international student

I am wanting to move to NZ for my bachelor's and up after I get my Associates.

What would the cost of living be there as an international student? After I am done with community college I may have as much as $5k saved up. I will be applying for financial aid and scholarships, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by nobawdy View Post
    I am wanting to move to NZ for my bachelor's and up after I get my Associates.

What would the cost of living be there as an international student? After I am done with community college I may have as much as $5k saved up. I will be applying for financial aid and scholarships, of course.
    Hello, fellow international student I would recommend you start exploring the websites of the universities you might be interested in going to. They all have a cost calculator or some kind of estimate of expenses. It varies slightly depending on where in the country you live. But the info is definitely there on the websites -- look under International Students --> Fees and Costs. Good luck!

The tuition costs depend on what you want to study. I pay $42,000 NZD/year for my course, but I think it's one of the most expensive.

They say you need $10,000NZD/year to live on, but that depends on your area and lifestyle. I'm sure people can survive on that, but I sure can't, but then I have a more established lifestyle and live with my husband.

Your profile doesn't say where you are from, but if you are from the US you can get US student loans for the major schools. I know Massey University's international office is very experienced dealing with US student loans. I assume most of the other major universities would know how to deal with them as well.

What are you thinking of studying?

$42,000 NZD/year ????????????

Yup, but it's about the same (or less) than I would pay at a US school.

(I'm studying to be a Veterinarian).

Aaaahhh...medical school....there ya go

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    They say you need $10,000NZD/year to live on, but that depends on your area and lifestyle. I'm sure people can survive on that, but I sure can't, but then I have a more established lifestyle and live with my husband.
    That means only $5,000 USD. That sounds like too little.

Your profile doesn't say where you are from, but if you are from the US you can get US student loans for the major schools. I know Massey University's international office is very experienced dealing with US student loans. I assume most of the other major universities would know how to deal with them as well.
    I am currently living in the US, yes.

Is there anything I can do now to help me get ahead? I know that even if I take summer classes at my junior college, it will be at least 1.5 years before I leave

What are you thinking of studying?
    I want to get at least a B.S. in Computer Science. I decided to go to University of Otago, and their tuition (in Computer Science) for international students is $20,000 NZD/year

The most I'm worried about is if I can't get a job there. I was hoping that Otago would have some sort of work-study program there, but I have no idea.
    Last edited by nobawdy; 9th March 2009 at 04:27 PM.

I would contact the university to see if they are used to dealing with US financial aid (which should also cover your living expenses) and also to see if they will take transfer credits from your institution, because otherwise you'll be wasting your time and money doing courses and getting a degree that won't help in the end.

And you should be able to find some part time job- heck one of my fellow vet classmates works at the gas station to help make ends meet.

I really have no choice but to go to a junior college, as my HS grades will not cut it.

But I will definitely contact them about that.

This will be a serious problem if I can't get scholarships there. What's with this?

http://www.otago.ac.nz/international...olarships.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast