Thread: mobile dongle

Default mobile dongle

what are the short term options while in a rental with no broadband

You could try the Vodem from Vodafone;

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile-broadband/

No idea how good it is tho'

Nick.

We got one of these from Vodafone, and it has been great. The cover was good and it is ALMOST as quick as standard broadband.

The downsides - We are tied in for 2 years, we can buy out for something like $200 but haven't bothered, and I believe that it can be expensive if you go over the 2G you are allowed. That said when we arrived it was ideal and I think that we would have been lost without it. We had to limit the amount of time we spoke on skype for but still managed 2 calls per week.

HTH

Hels

You could just get broadband installed in your rental and then move the package with you when you move on. That's what we did with Telecom, and have had no problems.
    In the first instane, it took a phone call to tell them we wanted broadband, and we had it less than 48 (looooonnnggg!) hours later.

I got great service from telecom.

Phone was connected on the Monday I requested it.
    Ordered Broadband Tues lunch.
    Wireless modem arrived 7.30am next day and the BB had been activated overnight.

So quick I had to phone telecom for my a/c no. to register.

I think Telecom do mobile dongles too.

Nick.
    Last edited by NikT; 8th March 2009 at 10:45 AM.

I got a vodem stick (Mobile broadband dongle) from vodafone, I bought it outright so i wasn't tied in to any contract and was able to cancel on 30 days notice. Was quite expensive to do this option but maybe in the end worked out evens ???? We were looking for job URGENTLY on arrival as trying to get work permit when here etc so internet was vital, and not just internet cafe type access! it also allowed us to skype and keep up to date with everyone from the day we got it, 2 days after we arrived, which really helped !

This was october 08 don't know how things have changed since then regards prices and any other options etc.

we used kiwi online in the bach to start I know its dial up but better than nothing $9.99 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We are on Vodafone, and although they're alright, we have a standard talk plan, 1G per month of broadband and we pay $95 for it...
    a friend of mine came over lately, and she signed up with a company called Orcon - their BEST package gives you free calls ALL over NZ, 25G of broadband, and FREE calls to South Africa (as far as I know you can choose which country to have this to) - all for $119.95. www.orcon.net.nz (PLUS - no contract... month to month basis), and of course if you don't want that much data, or the free calls around the country etc you can change the package... its soooo much cheaper than vodafone.

Am thinking of bailing out of my contract just to get this rate.

We also sorted out broadband with Telecom in our short term rental very quickly & easily, took out a 12 month contract I think - but was told we could transfer the number when we moved, which all sounded great.
    Have just phoned up to find out about transferring it to our new address and have been told that we need a new number as it's a different exchange & that there is a waiting list for broadband!
    So in theory great , not so great in practice!

Have a 12 month contract with Vodaphone, free to set up but cost us $150 when we moved, so kind of evens out. They told us we could keep our number if we moved as well, but apparently not! Oh well. Not like we get or make many phone calls anyhow. I thought a phone line would be useful as the mobile plans aren't even close to US mobile plans and in the US we hadn't had a landline for close to 7 years. Still not sure on whether its useful or not
    We will probably swap to Orcon when our contract is up, but for now our 20g + phone line for $90 a month isn't too bad.