Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Tents in NZ?

Default Trailer Tents in NZ?

As an avid camper in the UK, in my trusty Khyam tent, I'm wondering about the availability of trailer tents or pop-up campers in NZ. I've searched under Trademe but can't find much at all. This surprised me, as NZ is billed as the camping capital of the world! Does anyone know if they're plentiful over there, or can anyone recommend any appropriate websites?

Val-de-ree, val-de-rah (Not!)

haven't looked for them on either traderpoint or trademe websites but have seen them on the roads, so they are about.

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Yes, they're still about, but caravaning is nowhere near as popular as it used to be. My father was a camping 'nut', and was never without a caravan, or a campervan! :cool

Check out these links:

LINKY 1

LINKY 2

Very rarely see "caravans" here - most seem to be campervans or motorhomes (bloomin' HUGE ones they are too!)... and on the news recently was an article on how some camping grounds are being sold off to property developers as camping is becoming less popular .. :?

When we were kids we used to go away with my aunt in her 'Mow Tent' (I can still smell it now .... hot canvas and camping gas).

Don't know whether 'Mow Tents' are still made - or if they ever reached NZ, but it's the kind of thing we'll be looking for when we arrive.

Diny

I hope they don't sell off many camping grounds - I love camping and it's one of the things I'm looking forward to doing most!!

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    - most seem to be campervans or motorhomes
    My father built about six campervans out of standard vans, when he didn't have an actual caravan, that is. He converted a few Commers, a few Bedfords and a few VW Kombis. He also had a few custom built vans, like Transits, and Bedfords.

We went camping a lot! :mrgreen:

Those Befords sell for about $3-5k - very reasonable - and look huge inside. See alot of them about - used by backpackers mainly - but seen a few that are stunningly fitted out. Jeez, I really never thought I'd be getting so excited about a CAMPERVAN :eek if only my parents could hear me now...

Default Pop Tops

Pop tops and trailer tents used to be a big thing here in the 80s, you see hardly any of them now, sad really cos you could throw a little boat on the top and off you go, you dont even see as many normal caravans either, its all motor caravans these days. There was a motor caravan parked down at our beach last weekend it was fabulous, huge, loungeroom/study. upstairs bedroom , kitchen as big as mine, large bathroom with a laundry behind doors. The guy wanted $200,000 for it.

Must admit that I'm surprised. I thought there would have been loads of second hand campers around, but apparently not. Maybe I'm a big wuss and real Kiwis just carry a black bin-liner in their pocket and a mars bar as emergency rations I'm sure I remember watching some Blue Peter type programme years ago when they said all you needed to survive was a bin-liner, a paperclip, piece of string and a mars bar! Personally, I think I'd need a credit card, mobile phone and a breakdown outside a PremierLodge!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast