Thread: Still confused about TYPES of Teaching positions

Default Still confused about TYPES of Teaching positions

I'm am still confused as to how the teaching positions are assigned. First, let me explain how it's done here in the States (feel free to correct):

Primary (Elementary) teachers: generally grades K-6- classroom teachers teach most subjects, except for Art, Music, Phys. Ed.. Some primary teachers may also teach a non-academic, but as far as I know, its not mandatory.

Secondary teachers grades 7-12- broken down by subject: History, Math, English, Science, etc.

Special Area teachers- usually certified k-12 (which is both primary AND secondary students) Art, Music, Phys. Ed, Home-Studies, etc.

Also, teachers here are not paid by subject. Music teachers and Phys. Ed. teachers make the same money as Math or science teachers. Any diff in NZ?

I am an Art Teacher with K-12 certifications. Would I have to teach an ADDITIONAL subject? And if so, am I supposed to have prior certification in said additional subject?

It is pointless for me to try to get a job in NZ without knowing these basics.
    Last edited by Waters9944; 14th March 2009 at 03:09 AM.

80 views of this and no one can help me?

Maybe none of the 80 is teaching?

Anyway, nor am I, not in NZ, but I Googled this. http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/default.aspx