Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groupage or sole use?

Default Groupage or sole use?

We're borderline for a 20ft sole use container and are considering groupage on a 40ft. Anyone got any advice / thoughts on groupage v's sole use?

Alternatively how do I rationalise our belongings by the size of an average 3 seater sofa? All suggestions welcome, except sling the sofa - I've thought of that one already

It depends who told you you are borderline we had 5 quotes 2 said we would be over and 3 said just right in fact we could get another sofa in! I suggest you go with 20ft and have in mind something you may wish to discard at the last minute!

Same as Janey. We were told to condense right down, and we would never fit all our stuff into a 20' container. We had just under a third spare in the end!!!!

Wish I had brought more now!

If you need to leave some, just have a list on stand by. The chances are it may all fit in anyway.

if you are packing the stuff into boxes yourself just pack it well filling all the nooks and crannys. don't leave any space in boxes as that creates something that could be crushed. pack down what you can, if it comes apart easily flatten it. you can get a load in a 20' container and theres less chance of things going astray.

Strangely enough, we've just been told the same thing by Allied Pickfords? Is that the same with everyone else? We're getting a quotation from Crown in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by icemaiden View Post
    Strangely enough, we've just been told the same thing by Allied Pickfords? Is that the same with everyone else? We're getting a quotation from Crown in a few days.
    They told me I had tons of space in a 20' so I don't think it is a ploy on their part, they have also just requoted me and it was £500 less! So they seem pretty genuine to me

seems like a lot of us in the same boat. We've had Crown, Allied Pickfords and PPS round. One was something ridiculous like 10 cu ft under the maximum and the other two are coming out between 100 and 150 cu ft over. To give you an idea, one said that a tea chest was 5 cu ft and a washing machine 15 cu ft.

Either way we're looking pretty tight and it is giving me a right old headache. Hurrrrrumphhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by hosebergine View Post
    seems like a lot of us in the same boat. We've had Crown, Allied Pickfords and PPS round. One was something ridiculous like 10 cu ft under the maximum and the other two are coming out between 100 and 150 cu ft over. To give you an idea, one said that a tea chest was 5 cu ft and a washing machine 15 cu ft.

Either way we're looking pretty tight and it is giving me a right old headache. Hurrrrrumphhhhh
    You could pack some things in the washing machine. Turn coffee tables upsidedown and pack the void. Compression bags for duvets, towels etc.

Just keep some boxes of "if we can't take it it won't matter" and leave them till the end.

We were told we were right on the limit for 20', although in the end we decided to take the car so had a 40'.

I think I may have to watch over the packers and encourage them to pack tightly!! I'm sure they'll love me for it!

dont forget that if it is packed to the brim, the contents are safer as there is less chance of movement. we have been estimated as 1001 cu ft by pickfords and pss bloke said about 8-900 cu ft! i think we'll go with pickfords as they are more flexible and more knowledgeable but i'm waiting for the pss quote first to see how far apart they are in price, service and size estimate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast