Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullying: New Zealand Schools among the worst in the world

Unhappy Bullying: New Zealand Schools among the worst in the world

“The report [ Office of the Children’s Commissioner report] quoted an international study in 2007 that rated New Zealand Schools among the worst in the world for bullying with rates more then 50% above the international average”

Southland Times 17th March 2009

I was shocked when I read this, does this accord with other peoples experiences?
    Last edited by Philip10; 17th March 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Funny you should mention it today - they were talking on the radio this morning about whether self defense class should be compulsory at all schools in the country because of how bad the bullying is.

they mentioned one school whose way of dealing with the bullies was to call an assembly, and every person put down a name of someone who had bullied them. Apparently it came down to six names which consistently cropped up. These kids were from the lower socio-economic background, but the school got them counselling and has apparently wiped bullying out. ... that seems a much better idea to me.

Is this study related to physical bullying? The U.S. has had a lot of media focus on girls bullying over the past few years- as girls' "have a hidden culture of agression" - a lot different from the boys- but just as damaging.

This is not my personal experience. My children experienced more bullying in the UK than here. They have not experienced any bullying here, nor are they aware of any serious bullying issues here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    This is not my personal experience. My children experienced more bullying in the UK than here. They have not experienced any bullying here, nor are they aware of any serious bullying issues here.

Have to say I entirely agree with this. I find the kids better behaved more respectful and polite and just plain less bitchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Helsandfamily View Post
    Have to say I entirely agree with this. I find the kids better behaved more respectful and polite and just plain less bitchy.
    Ditto for us too however, my kids are young so have no experience of the high school system I have worked with high school kids in NZ and they do seem much more switched on and dare I say more mature than kids I'd worked with in the UK They seem more ready to challenge and question bullying and certainly more aware of what is/should be acceptable.

Karenx

i was bullied a lot throughout primary and highschool. in primary school, i was bullied by a teacher. i still feel the impact from it i think, years later (im only 24 but still)

Quote Originally Posted by Angel2850 View Post
    Funny you should mention it today - they were talking on the radio this morning about whether self defense class should be compulsory at all schools in the country because of how bad the bullying is.
    Surely this would just mean that the bullies are also better trained and those that excel could use it to their advantage even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel2850 View Post

they mentioned one school whose way of dealing with the bullies was to call an assembly, and every person put down a name of someone who had bullied them. Apparently it came down to six names which consistently cropped up. These kids were from the lower socio-economic background, but the school got them counselling and has apparently wiped bullying out. ... that seems a much better idea to me.
    Ranking so high statically, raises a lot of questions. Bullying can only be a problem if the school's fail to address the issue. Schools are responsible for providing a safe atmosphere for children. Bullying falls under the category of safety....it can truly be a form a torture for kids of any age.

And the repercussions of this mental or physical abuse can be catastrophic! Carrie took her revenge at the high school prom! And boy, that wasn't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by ellenmelon View Post
    i was bullied a lot throughout primary and highschool. in primary school, i was bullied by a teacher. i still feel the impact from it i think, years later (im only 24 but still)
    Agree and sympathize; been there!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast