Thread: Returning Refrigerated Containers

Question Returning Refrigerated Containers

Does anyone know anything about shipping things over in a returning refrigerated container? My husband, who is a Kiwi, said someone suggested that we investigate doing this as it is less expensive. I don't know anything about it, so I want to ask the forum if anyone here knows anything about them.
    Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by magcats View Post
    Does anyone know anything about shipping things over in a returning refrigerated container? My husband, who is a Kiwi, said someone suggested that we investigate doing this as it is less expensive. I don't know anything about it, so I want to ask the forum if anyone here knows anything about them.
    Thanks all!
    Generally they are called Reefer containers which have been used to export food from NZ.

Because they have a refrigerator built into them their volume is slightly less than a standard container - this is the main reason that they are cheaper.

As the container is more expensive they should be better looked after and as they are insulated against heat (and cold) your household effects will be less subjected to extremes of temperature.

As they may have iced up, you need to make sure that it has been fully cleaned and dried before your goods are loaded.

Here are a couple of old threads on the subject (there may be others)http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6954
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=888

Ian

Good deal, Ian! That was most helpful! Still hard to say if that's the way to go, but it's good to see that others have used them.

we were quoted for a refrigerated container as standard by pickfords. arent they normally chilled?

Default we used a reefer August 2006 ...

no worries at all - not so much as one broken glass .

It was via John Masons - it arrived clean enough to eat my dinner off the floor !

HTH

Vic