Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buttermilk

Default Buttermilk

I want to start making my own bread - I really miss proper Irish brown bread (soda bread) and somebody sent me a very good recipe for it. It requires buttermilk. Is buttermilk a particularly Irish thing? I haven't seen it in the supermarket so if anyone knows if you can get it in NZ and where please let me know - I'll share my recipe with you in return!

It's in the chiller cabinets usually where the cream in most supermarkets
    Good luck with the bread

I've also used vinegar and milk as substitute for buttermilk and it worked fine- one tablespoon of white vinegar to each cup of milk.

Woolworths in Kilbirnie have it for sure, bought it there last Paddy's Day (have seen it there since).. It's in a light yellow milk box type container. NW in Miramar have had it too. Recipe sharing would be great if I've pointed you in the right direction. I made it last year and it was oook, so would love the recc. of a good recipe!

As you're in Welly, they sell it at PAK'nSAVE, and the Dutch shop in Petone, and I'd be surprised if Moore Wilsons don't have it too. No worries.

Delia's recipe is nice, in our non-Irish opinion anyway. We eat it with home made corned beef, something I'd never made before we came to New Zealand!
    Last edited by Chiba; 22nd March 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks all. We do our weekly shop in Woolworth's in Kilbirnie so if they do have it there that'd be awesome! The Delia recipe looks nice so I might try that too and see which ones is better.

Ellenmelon - I actually got the recipe from the other site we both may frequent! I'll let you know how it works out though. I'd love to have proper brown bread for my lunches again!

Quote Originally Posted by Watna View Post
    Thanks all. We do our weekly shop in Woolworth's in Kilbirnie so if they do have it there that'd be awesome! The Delia recipe looks nice so I might try that too and see which ones is better.

Ellenmelon - I actually got the recipe from the other site we both may frequent! I'll let you know how it works out though. I'd love to have proper brown bread for my lunches again!
    Ah, that site I'm so out of touch on there..used to use it a lot! I would LOVE to have brown bread for soups this winter (just isn't the same without it) so await your results eagerly!

Quote Originally Posted by seattle View Post
    I've also used vinegar and milk as substitute for buttermilk and it worked fine- one tablespoon of white vinegar to each cup of milk.
    I've not seen buttermilk in NZ either, I substitute milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice to a cup of milk and seems to work ok. It's also possible to find recipes for soda bread using yogurt instead of buttermilk.

Buttermilk's always available in our New World, by the cream and milk, not by the yogurts.

I've found buttermilk in my local stores near the milk and cream. When I'm lazy I go out to my lemon tree and add lemon juice to milk to sour it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast