Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kiwibank offers Visa debit

Default Kiwibank offers Visa debit

Hadn't seen anyone post about this yet...
    So for people still considering banks and wanting a Visa Debit Card, Westpac is no longer the only choice, now you can get one from Kiwibank.

http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/visa-debit-card/apply.asp

I just got mine in the post it's great but I already have a WestPac debitplus but I like kiwibank better.

Default ASB as well...

Looks like ASB are onto it as well

https://www.asb.co.nz/visadebit#from...anner-personal

Jen

Wow thanks for the news hopefully BNZ will have one next as my wife banks with them

Oh that's great- EFTPOS is so annoying and you end up getting a credit card for online purchases. It's a bit different again here in Oz and I've not quite got my head around it ...

We have a Kiwibank debt card! It's pretty too! You have 5 or 6 designs to pick from!

What is the difference between Visa Debit Card and normal Visa Card and do I need one as I have a Kiwibank Master Card are they the samething

Visa debit works like a credit card but takes the money out of your checking account rather than having a balance to pay at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip10 View Post
    What is the difference between Visa Debit Card and normal Visa Card and do I need one as I have a Kiwibank Master Card are they the samething
    A visa debit card uses money that is in your bank account - so, unless you have an overdraft, you don't go into debt by using it. In this way it is basically the same as an EFTPOS card - except you can use it online, overseas etc.

A normal visa card / a mastercard is a credit card so you do go into debt when using it. You then have to pay off this debt - either at the end of each month or over time.

I got my ASB Visa Debit card last week and I've already used it to top up my phone card and make an online purchase, something I couldn't do with my old eftpos card. My old card was also so worn out it took several attempts to make it work at some machines. The only downside is this new card has a computer chip, like some credit cards have. This means it has to be inserted, not swiped, at some eftpos machines and some clerks don't know ow to do that yet. I'm sure they'll get the hang of it soon as more ASB debit cards show up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast