Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swimming pools

Default Swimming pools

I was wondering if it is common to have an in-ground swimming pools in homes? I mean it would be nice to have one in the garden for those hot summer days. Does any one know of the cost of installing an in-ground pool, I searced the net but could not find any costs, I found good looking in-ground pools but no estimated costs ..

i read somewhere that pools in NZ can devalue the home?

The only local company I can think of that deals with pools is (and I kid you not on the name) Poolland. The trucks around town look like they leave off one of the L's...
    Here is the website http://www.pool-land.co.nz/ You might ask them if they know install costs.
    Having spent a summer here...it doesn't get *that* hot. Oh sure we had a few freak 35C days but other than that its kind of mid 20's. There are houses with pools but not really common and I think most people go to the beach or local water (lake, river etc) anyhow.
    In the US at least the ROI on pools (installing/maintenance versus addition to house sale price) is not that great so I don't have a good opinion of them.

Priced one recently and the $50,000 mark was an average quote for a 4.5m x 9m pool. Iended up with an out of ground parapool that size fitted by a local builder for just short of $15000 , 10 years guarantee and when kids are done with it i can just sell it on trade me.

Public swimming pools are generally cheap enough and lovely enough to negate the need for private pools, let alone Hollywood-style ones that are *inside* the house!

It costs $7.50, I think, for me and daughter (7 yr old) to go to our local pool. It has a sauna, steam room, 3 spas (jacuzzis), a lap pool (nice and warm) and the main pool has a wave machine and a lazy river. Oh, and a water slide too.

Thank you all you've been very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    Is this correct? Any particular reason?

I've heard this said about homes in S England, and the reason is the cost involved in maintenance, even if you were to leave one empty of water and never use it.

Quite a few houses in Cambridge have in-ground swimming pools and I would say that these houses seem to be more expensive than those without when I compare houses in the property papers. I know 2 families that have had a pool put in this year, both of them are in my book club. I didn't ask them how much it cost though.

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    This is strange!! I'm not an expert on the subject but I think a swimming pool would increase the value of the property among other things. How much is the estimated annual cost of maintenence of swimming pools?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast