Thread: Atrial Fibrillation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Atrial Fibrillation

Well, finally got almost all the ITA documentation together, but then received a shock during my own physical examination -- turns out I have a cardial arrhythmia that I never knew about (atrial fibrillation), as well as somewhat elevated blood pressure (this was a problem for me during my teen years, but abated by age 18 or so).

I've an appointment with a cardiologist on Monday, and I've researched treatment options, but a search of this site doesn't disclose anyone in a similar situation. I've an ITA submission deadline of 17 April. Best to ask for an extension, or to submit the ITA expecting to supplement the medicals at a future date?

Personally I would just hand the ITA in anyway. It seems pretty much gauranteed that you will be referred to the MA for further info, and so I'm not too sure what benefit delaying handing the ITA in would have.
    I can't help more specifically with your question though, sorry!!
    Good luck with everything!!

I think you're right. My thought behind asking for an extension was to see whether a cure could be completed by then, and to have that documented on the original submission. However, since the ITA evaluation will take much longer than any extension to the submission date that NZIS is likely to grant, I'm sure we're better off just submitting what we have.

In the meantime, I can get my heart rewired. Nothing like multitasking...

Hmm,interesting.I would ask the cardiologist to fast track you through any investigations you may need to assess this,for immigration purposes.He will probably want you to have an echo,24 hour ECG and will discuss your options with you.Depending on your age there are different treatments for this.It is definately worth sorting this before you arrive in New Zealand.The question is, whether you are always in Atrial fibrillation or whether this is paroxysmal?Neither the less, you were unaware of this and hasn't caused you any harm but is best to get to the bottom of it now.

Quote Originally Posted by britzy View Post
    Hmm,interesting.I would ask the cardiologist to fast track you through any investigations you may need to assess this,for immigration purposes.He will probably want you to have an echo,24 hour ECG and will discuss your options with you.Depending on your age there are different treatments for this.It is definately worth sorting this before you arrive in New Zealand.The question is, whether you are always in Atrial fibrillation or whether this is paroxysmal?Neither the less, you were unaware of this and hasn't caused you any harm but is best to get to the bottom of it now.
    I agree with the above, it is unlikely to cause refusal to your application , but you need it sorted from the medical point of view !!

Had the echo and am wearing the 24-hour Holter monitor as I type. Everything seems fine, however -- even my BP went down, which, considering the stress of having to visit a cardiologist on short notice, is something of a minor miracle in itself.

Doc says I'll probably have to take one aspirin a day. I think I can handle that, and if the MA gripes about the cost, maybe I can prepurchase a 30-year supply or something.

Be sure to have the doctors do their write up addressing these concerns (this is what the MA's are concerned about):
    a diagnosis or cause (if applicable), the date and outcome of treatment, current state of health specific to each condition, medication as applicable, any further treatment or follow up required, expected prognosis, any residual problems or disability there from and any other relevant information.
    From my experience that's the boilerplate questioning you will get for any condition.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Being a Seppo like yourself, it's easy to forget that US docs may not be familiar with what NZIS is looking for.

Useful thread idea (I think): US migrants whose physicians have promptly and thoroughly completed the medical evaluation should post their names. Since there is no Panel Doctor list for the US, this could be good resource for future candidates. I'd start the list, but it's too soon to judge whether my own doc makes the cut.