Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulation & Home Ventilation Quotes

Default Insulation & Home Ventilation Quotes

Hi guys, has anyone had any direct experience of having insulation (loft and underfloor) and/or home ventiltion systems installed?

I'm not keen on doing any of the jobs myself,if I'm honest, so I'd like to know which companies anyone has used in Auckland (Glendowie specifically).

I can do the maths on buying the required volume of pink batts etc but wanted to get a ball park figure in mind for the whole installation package before contacting companies for quotes.

I know some people with DVS and HRV and they have only had good experiences - but they didnt get the work done - so cant help with figures.

As a comparison, I have a 1960's weatherboard bungalow approx 135m2. Looking at R3.6 in the loft and whatever does the job for underfloor.

So if anyone knows some companies that do this work (insulation and home ventilation), and better still an approx quote that would be awesome.

I'm trying to be proactive before the winter sets in.

Cheers

Mike

Hi guys, hope life is treating you well.

We had underfloor insulation done by Polyman and were happy with service and price.

http://www.polyman.co.nz/index.html

Details on this thread:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17627

Cheers

Tia

Were any central heating installers ever recommended? I am interested in the Auckland area.

On HRV etc, a colleague had them around and they would not guarantee that they had scoped it out correctly, only saying if they got it wrong he'd have to pay for more vents in the future.

In the end he went for a company called Moisture Master who alledgedly were the forerunners, but don't spend the money on marketing like the others. They back their system with a complete money back guarantee so may be worth a look.

Also Pink Batts have their own fitting service I believe.

Hi Alan,

As mentioned on the other thread I've heard good things about Complete Heat, although I've not used them myself. They do ducted heat.

There was also a company recommended to me for installing radiators but I can't for the life of me remember their name. I think they were based in the Bays - Mairangi Bay I think.

If you come across a company up there I can always let you know if the name rings any bells - sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers

Tia

Hi Tia, we're doing really well thanks - hope you're the same!?!

Thanks for the info and the link to the older thread - thats really useful. Will defo give them a call

Cheers peeps

check out EECA they have insulation grants to cover a third of it and free installation!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewandjane View Post
    check out EECA they have insulation grants to cover a third of it and free installation!
    But only if your total household income before tax is less than $100k for one or two earners or less than $140k household with 3 or more earners.

http://www.energywise.govt.nz/fundin...ing/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Were any central heating installers ever recommended? I am interested in the Auckland area.
    We're in Auckland, and had gas central heating installed last year, with radiators in every room. Bit of a rarity here, but the guy who installed it used to work in the UK and had experience with this set up, and he also said that most of his customers where expats

His name is Phil Reed, he was superquick, very clean, and really patient and friendly with the audience... (four kids looking over his shoulder ALL the time).

His email is phil@centralgas.co.nz, I think.

Daniela

Default I say demolish and start new!

Mike, no offence but I think you may be better off knocking the house down and rebuilding a new home. The reason I say this is you really can't take an old existing home and make it energy efficient and comfortable as what a new home could bring. There are certain designs that an old home just can't compete like having a proper concrete foundation (rib raft polystyrofoam insulated) that many new homes use vs. old homes that sit on old concrete pilon stilts (where the air blows under the floor boards of your house - through the crawl cavity space). Old houses are drafty, you could spend a fortune trying to seal up all the cold air drafts. But then you would create another problem in the area of condensation. Of course you could go with one of those DVS units but I don't really think they can control humidity effectively enough (hence the reason they won't guarantee?). You could put R20 insulation in the roof but the roof isn't designed for lots of insulation to begin with.

BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    Mike, no offence but I think you may be better off knocking the house down and rebuilding a new home.

BQ

And the vast majority of people can afford to to this how ?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast