Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should i Move?

Default Should i Move?

I submitted an EOI and it got accepted and should be receiving ITA packet soon in the mail.
    My questions is should i pursuit the immigration process and move to New Zealand?
    I live now in USA and I work here as a foreign worker, i lived in Canada before as well. How different is New Zealand than Canada and USA?
    Anyone knows what is the pros/cons in moving there?
    please advise!

thank you

Er... a difficult question to answer, this. You don't say what line of work you're in, what you like to do in your spare time, whether or not you have a family - all these things are going to make a tremendous difference. Then, there is a wide range of lifestyles, all different, in the USA, and in Canada, so there's no way of knowing what you're starting from when you want to make a comparison.

The decision to emigrate or not is a very personal one. What made you even consider going to NZ in the first place?

I am in the IT industry now, just me and my girl no kids yet. we are kinda of outdoor people. i decided to apply there because the job market here is not stable, and might get laid off any time, nothing certain, thus i can't stay in the USA after loosing a job. so i am looking for an alternative. i dont know about the IT industry in New zealand? how about it, but one thing for sure is GDP per capita is much lower than the one here in the USA, so I know that i won't be getting paid a high salary like the one i am getting her in the States. But will it be worth it? if i dont have any other options? how hard is it to get a job there/ what about medical and unemployment benefits? please advise!

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Er... a difficult question to answer, this....
    I was going to answer the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by bibo View Post
    I am in the IT industry now, just me and my girl no kids yet. we are kinda of outdoor people. i decided to apply there because the job market here is not stable, and might get laid off any time, nothing certain, thus i can't stay in the USA after loosing a job. so i am looking for an alternative. i dont know about the IT industry in New zealand? how about it, but one thing for sure is GDP per capita is much lower than the one here in the USA, so I know that i won't be getting paid a high salary like the one i am getting her in the States. But will it be worth it? if i dont have any other options? how hard is it to get a job there/ what about medical and unemployment benefits? please advise!

thank you
    I'm Looking at NZ for similar reasons, and from what I have read on this board, which there seems to be alot on the IT industry, Depending on what you do there is alot available for that. Now is a good time for you to imigrate, and test the waters since you don't have kids, IMHO.

This page, with the links from it, will give you an overview of the health provision available in NZ. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ntpack/health/

And you will probably find this site of interest, also.
    http://www.immigration.co.nz/life-in...w-zealand.html

I submitted an EOI and it got accepted and should be receiving ITA packet soon in the mail.
    My questions is should i pursuit the immigration process and move to New Zealand?
    I live now in USA and I work here as a foreign worker, i lived in Canada before as well. How different is New Zealand than Canada and USA?
    Anyone knows what is the pros/cons in moving there?
    please advise!

thank you
    Interesting question! I was born and raised in Canada but have been working/living in USA for the past 10 yrs. Now moving to NZ in 3 weeks (insert cheers! ). I have noticed a big difference between USA and Canada (i.e. Canadian health care, gov't, more chill people, way of life). In my opinion and from spending time in New Zealand, I would say that Canada is definitely more similar to New Zealand than the US is to New Zealand. Canada still has a British influence as well. So, there will more more similarities culturally (some), politically, socially and economically. The social market system seems to be similar. Just my 2 cents.

ok i have one more question, let's say i filled my ITA and send it and it got approved and PR is granted for me. Can i go/check in New Zealand and come back to the USA if i still have my job here? what are the residency obligations that i have to fulfill to maintain my Permanent residency status in New Zealand? how long can i stay outside the country? what are the rules on that?
    thank u

ok i have one more question, let's say i filled my ITA and send it and it got approved and PR is granted for me. Can i go/check in New Zealand and come back to the USA if i still have my job here? what are the residency obligations that i have to fulfill to maintain my Permanent residency status in New Zealand? how long can i stay outside the country? what are the rules on that?
    thank u
    Assuming that you are granted PR and not PR->WTR then you have 12 months to arrive in NZ to activate your visa from the date that the visa is put into your passport.

Your first RRV (returning residence visa) is valid for 2 years, so you could have a vacation in NZ to activate it and then you have up to 2 years to take up residence in NZ.

After 2 years, if you can then meet certain requirements, you will be granted an IRRV (indefinite RRV) in which case you will be able to leave NZ for as long as you want.

Ian

that sounds like a good plan so i will just complete all application and send it when received and go for a vacation to new zealand, maybe i will like it and quit the USA
    if not, i will do the RRV and come back to the USA, keeping my PR in New Zealand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast