Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booster Seats?

Default Booster Seats?

Does anyone know what the rules are on kids needing booster seats in cars in NZ? Is there a height limit like here in the UK? And if so, how strictly enforced are the rules?

Thanks,

Does this help?

The law in NZ regarding car seats is no way near are stringent as UK laws and IMHO it should be There is a possibility it may be reviewed to consider height/age/weight and a change in legislation may be on the horizon (certainly has alot of support from various groups) so worth checking before you ship out

Karenx

More information HERE Infact from reading that the weight limits exceed the UK ones and my daughter should still be rear facing not forward facing like she is allowed to in UK.....i hope she gains enough by the time we move as we already got her a forward facing one in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    More information HERE Infact from reading that the weight limits exceed the UK ones and my daughter should still be rear facing not forward facing like she is allowed to in UK.....i hope she gains enough by the time we move as we already got her a forward facing one in NZ
    I can't seem to find any legal weight requirements on that website, however I know there is a campaign group in the UK who are trying to encourage rear-facing seats for as long as possible. Seats are available to keep even a large toddler rear-facing - I wonder if that is the information you have come across? (Plus I've got a nosey DD looking over my shoulder asking me constant questions, so I may have missed which screen the info was on )

says they should remain rear facing until 12KGs, whether its a legal requirement or just advisary i'm not sure, but it is a good idea, i just have an exceptionally light weight child who at 3 is not yet 12Kgs and dont think she will be within the next 6months

i think the key point is in the wording of the law
    Must be properly restrained by an approved child restraint.

So you need to look at what is classed as approved as well as what is required based on age

We've just been looking at getting a new convertable (forward/rear facing) car seat for our tiny 12mth year old and one we have discounted, but is perfectly legal here in NZ can only be rear-facing for a child up to 8kg before you need to change it to forward-facing for 8-18kg weights. We were advised that is quite little for them to be forward facing, but perfectly legal.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by CatherineP; 9th April 2009 at 10:52 PM.

Even if they changed the law would anyone pay any attention to it. I believe there are just those who take all the advice going & do as much as possible (me) & those who just don't do a thing. A friend of mine saw someone put there baby in their pushchair in the back of the car just because they were asleep I mean who in their right mind, I don't think any law would change that persons mind or a lot more that I see overloading cars with kids in no seats.
    In the UK my dd was into a forward facing at 9 months as she out grew the rear facing & I didn't see anything about weight at that time & just went by height but here I have read more about weight & don't go by age so dd2 is staying in her rear facing until she reaches the 12kg as much as I'd love to have her facing forward so she could see more. I have had to buy a convertible car seat though.
    Don't even get me started on booster seats for 3 yr olds, my only advice is do NOT by from Farmers & do your homework on the pages attached to this thread
    OK I'm finished bleating

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    Even if they changed the law would anyone pay any attention to it. I believe there are just those who take all the advice going & do as much as possible (me) & those who just don't do a thing. A friend of mine saw someone put there baby in their pushchair in the back of the car just because they were asleep I mean who in their right mind, I don't think any law would change that persons mind or a lot more that I see overloading cars with kids in no seats.
    Very true. I've seen worry practices amongst some parents, including a friends who use to let her just-turned-3 year old sit, unstapped in the front passenger seat. Her excuse, she was just going down the road to pick up her youngest and it was too much hassle putting her into her proper seat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast