Thread: Electrical Service Technician (EST A/B)

Default Electrical Service Technician (EST A/B)

Just found out that I'll need to attend and pass this course/exam to enable me to work as A/C engineer in NZ.
    Has anybody enrolled on this course before?
    Also, as I'm entering the country as a visitor to check it all out and look for work will I be able to take this course?

One week course / practical and Saturday Test for the 'A', and another for the 'B'.

Cheapest place to take them is at one of the local colleges. Round Welly that would be Weltec in Petone.

Remember you need a practising licence and need to demonstrate 18 months practical to obtain. I suggest you get those experience letters from past employers in your country of origin to help there.

Rod

.... oh and look here:
    http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/content/training.html

That's a really helpful page.

Hi not quiet sure if you need those exams.
    If you got your qualifications in the UK, you need to get your qualifications checked out first from EWRB. Then they should/ will tell you that you need to do ELECTRICAL REGS, FIRST AID/SAFETY AND TESTING AND A BLOCK COURSE FOR PRACTICAL WORK which is 6 days full time.
    Price for the course is 340, 103 and 1475 dollars.
    Im doing the courses now. The regs and block course runs in june and november. The saftey course runs every week, this one has to be done every 2 years.
    Hope this helps,also you will need to sponsered by a sparkie in NZ before you can get your provisional licence.

Top man!! Thanks Rod, very useful. In your opinion will my work references be of any use there, since leaving college in '94 I've only worked for two companies and have great references from them and includes experience/work duties.

Matt, thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought of getting my qualifications assessed. At college we were told that C&G was internationally recognized as (in my trade) the qualification to have, therefore wouldn't be a problem. It's those NVQ's that might be??? (and saving myself £200). Also, I'm not yet using my qualifications to get a job/visa, I'm getting into the country as a visitor, then will look at finding work (hopefully) where we want to settle, as never been to NZ. Really, my question was if I decide to stay can I attend this course as a visitor? Because if I do decide to stay I'll need to sort all this out fairly quickly, as if I do need to sit/pass this course no employer will offer me a job without it, and there goes my application for WTR...
    If i need to I can always get all 5 of my C&G's assessed when I'm in NZ, as I'm bringing all my paperwork with me (including those references). I suppose I'm just taking the advice of many people saying "just get yourself out there, everything will fall into place".

Yer'wan,

I refer you to another EWRB page:
    http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/content/overseas.html

.... its all about recognition of overseas qualifications and experience. Have a *good* read and think it through.

Your experience letters from previous employers will need to state the voltages, phases and type of electrical work you carried out. I.e. they will be looking for the competencies stated for the EST A and B.

Hope that helps.

Rod

Thanks again Rod, that has helped a lot, hadn't read that page. Looks like I will have to get all Q's assessed, and will defo have to sit that course. My electrical C&G isn't shown on that list, was only a 16th Edition short course (rest are for A/C). Oh well, another day, another thing learned!

OK - but still get those experience letters sorted out so you can shortcut the practical experience requirements!