Thread: Good price for firewood

Question Good price for firewood

Hi,

Winter is coming soon & there's a wood burner in my place. Have received lots of advice about using macrocarpa & not pine. Have checked out prices in Trade Me & the local newspaper. Have also been surfing for info about using seasoned wood etc. Was cautioned about paying too much & getting ripped off. Therefore, what's a good price to pay for macrocarpa?

Sorry know nothing but there was a piece on Fair Go last night about thrown weight & stacked weight, you may already know but worth mentioning just in case

I bought pine ($75), gum ($110) and macrocarpa ($85) and that's per meter. Also bought 4 bags of kindling for $5 each. She is out in Waitakere and delivers for free (depending on where you live) if you order 3 meters or more. PM me if you want her number.

Emily

Here in Tauranga firewood generally goes for about $60 to $80 a cubic metre, dry, split and delivered to your door, depending on the type of wood. Pine being cheap and macrocarpa being at the top end. I have heard stories of people getting fresh-chopped wood when they've been promised dry, and the amount of wood in a cubic metre can vary a bit... we got "2" m3 last year, I reckon it was more like 3 though, there was tonnes of it! Also, you can often get discounts for buying in bulk - I guess 3+ cubic metres counts as bulk. Pine burns a bit faster than macrocarpa, so you'll get through more, but it's not bad, so don't avoid it unnecessarily if macrocarpa is too pricey.

I just bought a load of pine, in rings (i.e. not split, just slices of trunk), about 2 cubic metres for $50, but I had to collect it and split it. I love splitting wood though, it's great fun

Err... so, about $70 to $80 a cube for macrocarpa, less if you're buying loads.

Thanks for the info. Waitakere is a tad tad far from Whanganui/Wanganui.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruckner View Post
    I bought pine ($75), gum ($110) and macrocarpa ($85) and that's per meter. Also bought 4 bags of kindling for $5 each. She is out in Waitakere and delivers for free (depending on where you live) if you order 3 meters or more. PM me if you want her number.

Emily

Is macks = macrocarpa? Saw an ad for a trailer load of macks $200. No mention about it being dry, ready to use nor the amount of wood.

You can only use Macrocarpa if you have an enclosed fire as it has gas pockets and spits lit embers. It burn well but is a bit of a whats it to get light so everyone I know tends to mix a bit of pine with it as that burns quick and hot and gets the mack alight which then burns slow and hot. I pay $65 pcm for pine and $85 pcm for mac. Both come from the Matea trust which is a source of good quality dry wood and honestly measured. They also stack it all up neatly for me!!. I know they have sold out of pine though. They cover the North shore area mostly.
    Debbie

Someone told me about an organization that sells firewood & is either a charitable organization...or gives money from sale of firewood to charitable organization(s). Maybe she was talking about the Matea Trust. Will do more research. Thanks for the tip about mixing pine & mack

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    You can only use Macrocarpa if you have an enclosed fire as it has gas pockets and spits lit embers. It burn well but is a bit of a whats it to get light so everyone I know tends to mix a bit of pine with it as that burns quick and hot and gets the mack alight which then burns slow and hot. I pay $65 pcm for pine and $85 pcm for mac. Both come from the Matea trust which is a source of good quality dry wood and honestly measured. They also stack it all up neatly for me!!. I know they have sold out of pine though. They cover the North shore area mostly.
    Debbie