Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the job most in demand in NZ?

Default What job is most in demand in NZ???

Hello

I'm a mum of two and now that one is at school and the other is in daycare twice a week I have some time (which is not a good thing when all I think about it moving back home to NZ).So to help my family get there I thought it would be a great thing to return to study so when we do come back I can get a good job...thing is I don't know what I wanna be when I grow up LOL.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to study something that is in demand in NZ so I have no worries getting work....BUT WHAT? Can anyone tell me what jobs a re in demand in NZ?

I had thought about doing a teacher aid course so that I can work a long side a teacher I'm not sure how they work in NZ but it seems in Perth they have them a lot in the primary schools.I also thought about hairdressing but cause I'm 33 no one will take me on (I have gone to great efforts to find a job in this industry at no avail)..........So what would be the best area to study then guys?

I would like to live in the Rodney area so I guess jobs differ from place to place however I'm ok to travel to work used to do it all the time so have no concerns there.

Thanks in advance and do hope you might be able to shed some light for me.

PS any info on plastering would be great too!

Cheers.
    Last edited by Jewel; 21st April 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Take a look through the long term skill shortage list: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...9D5/0/1093.pdf

And the immediate skill shortage list:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...ortageList.pdf

They have all the jobs that NZ needs as well as the qualifications they look for if you are trying to use it for points on a PR application.

I'd have a look at the shortage areas (LTSSL) and the history of them if you can.

Otherwise I'd say some forms of IT, nurses, midwives are generally always in demand.

Will check that out thanks guys :-)

cool had a wee look and think I'll go for teaching...although I don't want to be here for 4 years so might do the teachers assistant that is a shorter course.I'm sure I'll get work and if not can further study in NZ...I am a qualified nanny so should all help...thanks guys yay I now know what I wanna be when I get older hehe.

Do you already have a four year degree? There's a program in NZ that is one year long that allows you to get teaching cert on top of a bachellors.

No :-( I don't .
    I did a nanny course so can be credited for some things but still need to train to work in daycare or to become a teacher...if that makes sense.It's just the teachers aid course is a year or two and a teacher is I think 4 so it's tricky when I would love to move in year or two.

Love to know any more info anyone has.I just emailed a few primary schools in Rodney to ask how in demand a teacher aid is but it's school holidays so will have to wait.

Thanks.

Hi Jewel

I know that there is currently quite a demand for Early Childhood Education Teachers here in NZ, as the government would like all providers of Early Childhood Education to be qualified ECE Teachers by the year 2012.

I am currently doing an ECE course through the Open Polytechnic, which is great, as it allows me to be at home with my kids and study extramurally.

If you would like any more info about this course, just let me know and I will PM you some web links.

Best of luck.

Hi Arwen,
    Yes please if you can email me that would be GREAT!
    I'm a little confused as to wat ECE is excatly...can you only work at childcare with that? Could you also be a teacher assistant with that qualification?

Please PM me love to hear more :-)

Thumbs up PM'd you some info.

Hi Jewel

I have PMd you some useful weblinks.

I hope they all come through ok, if not, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Arwen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast