Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers, has anyone had a problem getting PR with an LTR position

Default Teachers, has anyone had a problem getting PR with an LTR position

I start my new teaching job on the 27th and it is currently a fixed-term Long Term Relief position for the remainder of the year, to end on 11 December. In reality it is a permanent position but because I am a beginning teacher they hired me as fixed-term so the can try me out. I called up immigration and was told this was not a problem, but I want to know if anyone else out there has experience with this situation and how it turned out for you. My EOI was selected today and I hope to have the ITA returned to them by the end of May.

There is also a possibility the position won't be LTR for long. The person I am replacing happens to be the union rep and he told me the principal was committing a huge violation of union rules. The PPTA could force the principal to make it a permanent position but I don't want to get straight into a fight with a new boss unless the position being LTR jeopardized my getting PR. What do you think?

No idea but would like to know the answer just incase

Pretty sure the position has to be permanent for PR but presumedly you would be offered a working visa and then could go for PR once the job was made permanent?

Waiting isn't an option for me, I already have a work visa, I need to submit my ITA by June so that I don't have to do a medical exam again.

I'm pretty sure I heard on here that you need a new medical when you apply for PR unless you've had one in the past year? But then I could be completely wrong and I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

Actually it's only good for three months if you need it for PR, but I had mine done for my work visa on 3/3/09, thus I must return the ITA by 3/6/09. I had an awful experience with the medical where my vein collapsed after the blood test and left my arm painfully swollen and useless for a month. Don't want to do it again.

This is why I need to make sure that my fixed-term job is sufficient, or I need to quickly fight to have it made permanent under union rules.

My sister came over on a work visa and I helped her with the EOI / ITA once settled and here. She was slightly over the 3 months limit for meds, but they did not ask her to go for the medical again.

Don't blame you for not wanting to do the medical again, but the cost here is so low. A doctor is advertising at the top of Queen Str. in Auckland $100 for the medical and $100 for blood tests!

Pete

Sorry to hijack but can I ask a slightly different but sort of the same question?

When applying for a work permit can the job be temporary or does it have to be permanant?
    This is for Primary teaching and I intend to apply for PR once I have a job and work permit.

Oddly enough, I believe the job does need to be permanent, or at least for a term of two years to get the work permit because a work permit for a teacher is 2 years. Generally work permits to teach are only given after finishing an NZ teaching diploma or for the purpose of gaining NZ registration, which takes 2 years. The job also has to be a full-time position.

This is what I read on the web site, but it says nothing about such requirements under the PR section and I was surprised that the immigration officer I talked to said it was okay to have a fixed-term job.

Quote Originally Posted by akp713b View Post
    I start my new teaching job on the 27th and it is currently a fixed-term Long Term Relief position for the remainder of the year, to end on 11 December. In reality it is a permanent position but because I am a beginning teacher they hired me as fixed-term so the can try me out. I called up immigration and was told this was not a problem, but I want to know if anyone else out there has experience with this situation and how it turned out for you.
    This thread is a few months old, but I just saw it and actually did a similar thing... maybe you've got everything sorted now.
    Anyway, I finished teachers college here on a student visa last year and switched over to a work visa while I was hired on a long term contract position (till the end of the school year). Anyway, I submitted my EOI and ITA claiming points for the job ... however, because it wasn't a permanent job the points were not granted. Luckily though the school was conducting interviews for full time positions and I got one of them so was granted the points back once I showed evidence of having a permanent job.

In terms of the school 'trying you out' ... technically they are allowed to hire on a contract basis halfway through the term until the end of the year (not supposed to 'try you out' though), but then have to re-advertise full time scale a positions to the general public.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast