Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why nz?

Default Why nz?

This was published in today's UK Daily Telegraph article about people wanting to leave the UK and where to go to - thought people might be interested:

NEW ZEALAND

Why go? A total detox from the urban rat-race.
    Population: 4.3 million in a country roughly the same area as the UK.
    Life expectancy: 78
    Tax: 33 per cent
    State pension: Yes, but if you haven't made sufficient contributions you can also transfer your UK pension. You need to have lived and paid taxes in NZ for a total of 10 years since you turned 20 or 5 years since you turned 50 to qualify.
    Property: Average prices now above 150,000 but renting is cheap.
    Employment: Very limited in rural NZ, but elsewhere lots of opportunities for anyone with a skill from plumbers to neurosurgeons.
    State education: Full provision for residents. Go to the cities for top quality secondary education.
    Healthcare: Good standard provided through a version of a national insurance scheme, but you need to pay at some points, including for adult GP consultations.
    Crime: Very low by UK standards; national figures are skewed by small pockets of crime in big cities.
    Lifestyle: A typical weekend could include kayaking, fly fishing, mountain biking or walking on some of the world's most celebrated hiking tracks.
    Weather: Not unlike the UK but beware the Kiwi belief that central heating is for sissies.
    The people do they bite? New Zealanders are straight-talking, generous people, who hate pretentiousness. Give favours, repay favours and you won't go wrong. And remember, no whingeing from the Poms, please.
    Food & drink: Cheaper than the UK by about 20 per cent, but wages are low, so if you earn in NZ dollars the weekly supermarket shop will not feel cheap.
    Countryside: Epic it was not for nothing that NZ was chosen as the location for Lord of the Rings.
    How easy to get in? NZ suffers from a brain-drain to Australia and Europe, so the authorities are actively seeking migrants. However they want quality, not quantity. If you have skills you will pass the points test for residency easily.

Quote Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post
    Tax: 33 per cent
    Weather: Not unlike the UK but beware the Kiwi belief that central heating is for sissies.
    Interesting article, Tax for many is at 38 per cent though especially the skilled ones.

Not sure how they can say the weather is not unlike the UK, can only assume that they are talking about the south island?

Ian

I guess they mean there are proper predictable seasons, like the UK, and unlike Aussie.

Crime: Very low by UK standards; national figures are skewed by small pockets of crime in big cities.
    This is interesting. I suspect it's true, but I'd like to see their working all the same.

All sounds OK to me, think I'd live to live there.

Oh yes lucky me, I do!

I agree with most of the statements and think it is a fair summary. The one I would disagree with is that renting is cheap. Average is $420 per week in this area for a modern family home.

Hi

Was going through all the "why are we doing this -its mad" questions in my head and this post just made me realise why.

Thanks

Alan

Yep, would agree renting isn't cheap. Certainly right about central heating, standard of insulation and heating is years behind.

Thank you themilkybarkid, that's exactly what INZ asks about
    "no whingeing from the Poms" - could you decrypt that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sovenok View Post
    "no whingeing from the Poms" - could you decrypt that?
    'Pom' is a slang word for someone from Britain who is now in NZ or Australia. Unfortunately, some of them have gained the entire race the reputation of complaining about anything and everything - 'whingeing' means making a noisy verbal fuss about something you happen not to like. This means that the moment any Brit has even the best possible reason to point out that something is not as it should be, s/he is likely to get told/dismissed with, 'Whingeing Pom!' It's in everybody's interests to try and sort out difficulties without going on and on about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It's in everybody's interests to try and sort out difficulties without going on and on about it.
    Thank you JandM,
    That's what we are doing here, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast