Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tents????

Default Tents????

hiya,

just want to pick the brains of any avid family campers out there in NZ already. Would you recommend taking a tent from the UK or getting one out there? We have been looking at new tents today in our local camping shop and have seen one we really like (Vango Amazon 600) with 20% off RRP and we are debating whether to buy it now and keep it in the bag so MAF don't have to do anything with it or wait until we arrive in NZ and buy new there. I have seen a few tents on NZ websites but to be honest, I'm not sure if I like the look of them and not many sites show the prices. Have you found them to be cheaper (if so I don't mind the look of them at all ) or more expensive? If we bought now in the UK and it is unused by the time we go to NZ, would we have to pay tax on it when we bring it over?

Thanks

Just realised...I meant to put that I don't like "Many" of the tents I had seen on NZ websites...sounds like I meant all of them in the first post

IMO the tents seem very expensive here if you want quality compared to the US.

Have you looked at Kathmandu.co.nz to check out the types and price of tents available here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNaylors View Post
    hiya,
    If we bought now in the UK and it is unused by the time we go to NZ, would we have to pay tax on it when we bring it over?
    As long as the tax for the items brought over is less than $50 then no.

We were not campers in the UK, we had a caravan, however we have just come back from our first ever NZ family camping holiday . We purchased our tent over here. We initially saw it on trademe.co.nz, but it was from a retailer, so we went and looked on their site and actually found the tent was cheaper direct than via trademe. We purchased a Drysdale 9 for $530 - it was great for the 5 of us (travel cot, 2 camp stretchers in one end and OH and I on blow up bed in the other). We had one night of torrential rain and did have a small puddle, but this was because OH had not shut one of the doors down correctly and water had seeped in through the bottom zip - the main body of the tent was fine. We also had some windy moments too (not OH's fault all the time!!!! ) which the tent coped with too.

This is the company we used: Complete Outdoors (they don't have the '9' anymore, but it's only slightly narrower than the '12' they have in stock) They do list prices, so might be of some help.

We are not campers, so were not looking for the best quality tent, just something to get us by and see how we got on, however I was pleased with the tent.

Not sure if this is correct but I thought I heard somewhere that the tents sold here (in NZ) were better able to cope with the high UV levels than the UK ones which really only have to be waterproof.

We have been looking at tents and quality of tents in UK much higher and cheaper.
    Suggest if you buy one taking it out and messing it up a bit as our one came through MAF inspection no problem with nothing to pay
    I think you only pay tax if things are obviuosly new
    Gazza1000

I also think tents in NZ are outrageously expensive. We looked into buying a proper canvas one because I think they're heaps comfier to sleep in than our Taj Mahal in nylon affair, but the cost was totally prohibitive. We've found them considerably cheaper here in Oz.

Not in NZ yet but we bought a new tent recently that we intend to take with us, we have used it because i was worried about the tax, but in hindsight we needn't have. From experience of bringing tents into NZ in the past, it needed to be inspected upon arrival at the airport but it really only took a moment or two and didn't cause us any hassle....and it still had lumps of grass and mud inside (oops)

Thanks for the info folks. It's looking more and more likely that we will buy before we go...might get it out and ruffle it up a bit first if we don't get to use it so it looks used ...may even be a good opportunity to give it a spray down with some additional UV protector.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast