Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek

Red face Fenugreek

Anyone know where in Auckland (Manukau) I can buy Fenugreek leaves not seeds? Are they known as anything else? What are Curry Leaves, would they be the same thing???

OH has been trying out various online curry base recipes (curryhouse.co.uk, cuzza.com and jamieoliver.com), but the next stage of making up the various curries need fenugreek - we've been doing without and the results are getting better with each attempt he makes. I shan't be in need of a good Indian take-away soon

Well I'd never heard of the spice before, so I looked it up on wikipedia and found this out about it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In the United States, where maple syrup is popular but expensive, fenugreek is widely used in lower-cost syrup products as a maple syrup flavoring.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Well I'd never heard of the spice before, so I looked it up on wikipedia and found this out about it:
    Ah, that's reminded me of when I took it whilst feeding my youngest

Fenugreek seeds are a galactagogue that is often used to increase milk supply in lactating women. Because the maple syrup-like flavor is strong and not always liked, the seeds are ground to a powder and administered in capsules. Many lactating women who take fenugreek in the quantities required to increase their milk supply notice that their skin exudes a distinct "maple syrup" odor
    But I just need it for the curry Thanks for the Wikipedia link. I may have seen Methi out and about, I'll take more notice next time I'm looking.

Leaves, really I’ve never used the leaves. I usually buy it ground, besides making curry taste great it has the uncanny ability of making your kitchen smell like Gandhi’s slipper for around a week. Worth it though ay..

I’m quite sure curry leaves aren’t the same thing I use those too, ok I smell funny but I eat well .

Bob

According to this I'm looking for fenugreek the herb as opposed to fenugreek the spice. Hmm, I wonder if there is that much difference? I keep seeing the whole spice and ground spice in the shops, so it wouldn't be a problem getting hold of that.

Sorry no answer for you but I wanted to share that I've only just found fenugreek here after a 9 month search. They had it in bulk at a health/organic food store. Now I can cook the curry recipe I've been wanting to try!

The leaves and seeds have a different flavour, in similar manner to coriander.
    Afraid I've no idea where to buy them...they are different to curry leaves. I grow my own.

Great shop in CHCH sells the leaves - got some in my pantry!
    Dont suppose that helps really does it!

I am surprised Moshims in Manukau doesnt sell it! have you tried there?( Just checked their website - they dont appear to!)
    I go to a great Spice shop so if you get desperate I could always post some up to you.

Tanya
    Last edited by Tanya; 27th April 2009 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato View Post
    The leaves and seeds have a different flavour, in similar manner to coriander.
    Afraid I've no idea where to buy them...they are different to curry leaves. I grow my own.
    Really, aw now you've gone and done it, now I have to find the leaves.

Bob

No idea, but i still have half a container full from when i was breastfeeding!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast