Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EOI - NZQA - Electrician (NEED HELP)

Default EOI - NZQA - Electrician (NEED HELP)

Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help me here, I’m stuck on my EOI.

I’m trying to get points for my trade cert but there doesn’t seem to be anywhere I can claim it. They only give points for recognised certs(which electrician isn’t one) or those that go through the NZQA. The thing is I’m pretty sure I’ve to go through the EWRB to get my equivalency not the NZQA. Does anyone else know what I should do here?

I’m also having trouble with the EWRB now that I mention it. Does anyone know where I could get my hands on that work experience template that seemed to be of great help to others that I’ve seen on the forum?

I’ve no doubt I’ll have tonnes more questions as the days go by but anything you can tell me would be a help at this stage.

Thanks.

I'm sure you'll get some useful answers when NZ wakes up.

Meantime, hello and welcome.

Hi

Yes, you need to get your quals assessed by the EWRB.
    No need to bother with NZQA, but not sure how you put it in the EOI.
    (we had an agent do it all).
    IIRC the letter comfirming that I could get electrical registration was enough for NZIS, and extra points were claimed because electrician was on the Long term shortage list.
    This was in 2005, but I don't think it's changed.

I didn't use a work experience template, I did my own, but I can email you the docs I sent in.
    It will give you an idea.
    Get 5 posts on the forum then PM me.
    I also had a letter from my employer to comfirm my experience.
    If all is okay, the EWRB will grant you a provisional licence under supervision.
    To gain a Full licence, you take the regs exam and the level 3 practical exam.
    You also have to take the Safe working practices, CPR etc. assessment every 2 years.

Nick.
    Last edited by NikT; 27th April 2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Addition

Thanks an million Nick,

Great to know what someone actually did to get through. Thing is though I wrote basically the same question in a mail to the EWRB yesterday and they replied that I need to go through the NZQA for the EOI and then through them for registration. So I've two problems. 1: looks like I need to use the NZQA (unless, did the letter you sent to the NZIS have some sort of official standing?) and 2: I was under the impression that visas/permits were only granted if you are registered in the "Skill" you're offering (so before NZIS give approval). But if the provisional only lasts a year and immigration and moving could take the guts if a year......see what I mean. I must have it wrong! Did you get registered before you did the EOI or when you got to NZ?

And Nick your are a saint if you could forward a copy of the docs you sent to the EWRB. I've heard it could take several attemps to get approved so anything you could tell me would be a major help.

Thanks again Nick
    and thanks JandM for the welcome. Never used a forum before but I think this one's going to be my home page for a while to come.

Glad you feel a bit at home already!

As Nick said, you need to make five posts, THEN you'll be able to send and receive PMs, and he'll be able to communicate direct with the info that you need. These posts can be just one word at a time on this same thread, if you don't have anything in particular more that you want to say.

Sheero we can help you as have all the info on file but just off to work now. Will send later but will also need to email you template so you will need to keep those posts coming so that I can personal mail you (PM) the info. My Husband is Electrician and we moved just over a year ago so all info should still be relevant.
    Nat

Thanks Nat,

I think I'll be a bit cheeky here and write three short threads.

I just filled out a "Pre-assessment of Qualifications" with NZQA. This isn't the full deal but apparently it's good enough to get the correct amount of points. I hope anyway!

By the way Nat and Nick. How are thing's work wise in NZ for electricians? I'm getting reports of loads of electricians heading for NZ and OZ. Is this having an effect on the jobs market. I've wanted to move to NZ for years (since my first visit in 2004). And if I've left it too late it'll be too much to take!

Well hopefully I'm able to get PM's now and I'm looking forward to hear any news you have.

Thanks again everyone!

Hi,

Don't worry about timing.
    You can only get a prov licence once you are in NZ. So you don't need it to submit your EOI or ITA.
    You need a spark with a full licence to sign a declaration saying they will supervise you. Dont' panic, no-one is going to stand over your shoulder!

The prov licence is valid for a year, and that gives you 2 attempts at the exams in June or November.
    (They're easy).

So if you are granted WTR->PR or PR with section 18a you will have enough time, and NZIS only require that you have registration & prov licence to remove conditions from your permits.

When we did the NZIS bit, a letter from the EWRB (recognising my qualifications & experience) was all they needed to process our application.
    But things might have changed.

As Nat said, they've been through the EWRB/NZIS shredder more recently so might be more help on that side.

My EWRB assessment was done in April 05 so info could be out of date, but I'll help as much as poss.
    Don't hesitate to ask.

As for work, it is slowing up a bit here in Hawkes Bay, but you shouldn't have a problem getting a job.
    Christchurch seems to be busy for sparks at the mo!

Have also sent you a PM.

Nick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast