Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you still listen to Radio 4 (or other UK station)?

Default Do you still listen to Radio 4 (or other UK station)?

I've been away from the UK for 27 months but still listen to The Archers religiously, still love The Now Show and find myself listening to PM. Woman's Hour and From Our Own Correspondent almost every week. ABC National is better here in Australia than Radio NZ but it's something I just can't let go. Anyway, this week The Now Show was absolutely hilarious (as ever) and well worth a listen: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qgt7

Are you still hooked to UK media- TV, news sites or radio?

Yup, have a number of podcasts that I listen to weekly.

I miss the British Media quite a bit, but read the Times online, BBC online, and generally try to avoid the Herald if possible.

I also miss the kind of humour/satire/parody/wit here, I really haven't found anything comparable in the NZ broadcasting scene.

Daniela

Yeah, I get quite a few podcasts from various sources, have BBC World on the radio (810 AM) and watch BBC News on the satellite. Integrate, me? heheh.

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Yup, have a number of podcasts that I listen to weekly.

I miss the British Media quite a bit, but read the Times online, BBC online, and generally try to avoid the Herald if possible.

I also miss the kind of humour/satire/parody/wit here, I really haven't found anything comparable in the NZ broadcasting scene.

Daniela
    It's difficult though isn't it because if I listen to the UK news too often I become disjointed form what's happening here (in Oz or NZ), which was worse when we were TV-less for 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    It's difficult though isn't it because if I listen to the UK news too often I become disjointed form what's happening here
    True. But I do get woken up by radio news and we subscribe to the Herald, so I can't entirely avoid it. Although the last Saturday edition had me SO close to writing and complaining once again... Ah well.

Anytime I read a piece in the Herald and think, oh, this isn't too bad, it has 'Independent' or 'Observer' as the source. Sigh.

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Anytime I read a piece in the Herald and think, oh, this isn't too bad, it has 'Independent' or 'Observer' as the source. Sigh.
    Lol, true dat.

Yes I still REALLY miss the British media, not so much the radio anymore, but the newspapers and TV. We download Mark Kermode's film reviews and some other podcasts but I always found Radio 4 a bit smug and irritating even when I was in the UK - I'm such a phillistine!

My friend sends me a regular parcel of Guardian clippings and 'Family' from the Saturday Guardian and at first I fell on it like a hungry dog, but more recently I have found myself becoming more and more detached from UK news in particular and world news to a certain extent. In a way this is good, as it used to make me angry and worried on the whole, but it is also bad to become more narrow in my focus and less aware of world events.

I REALLY miss being able to CHOOSE a paper based on my beliefs and outlook on life.

I miss all UK TV apart from ITV. I miss the satire and the irony and the presenters and the LACK OF ADVERTS. We download A LOT.

I'm not bothered about the TV but I also miss the Guardian and sometimes treat myself to the Guardian International, which is very expensive but S and I read from cover to cover and has all sorts of globally focussed articles. I'm sorry to say I HATE the Guardian family section, which S and I used to read for humour value alone at his parents' house. I know where you're coming from RE Radio 4 in some respects but I *bet* you can't listen to the whole of The Now Show without laughing ....

I occasionally go to the bbc website, sometimes just to have a good old laugh at the weather. In the main I avoide the UK media simply because its so depressing!

The news often seems to have been written for the illiterate, I say written but more often it's pictures, video or their favorite a map, at the moment its a map of the spread of disease, before it was a map of children stabbing one another, why?

I think the last thing I enjoyed reading on that site was the budget, the unashamed bashing of the wealthy seemed to be the main thread. I thought it was great, go on chase the talented wealthy business men/women out of the country, they can come and live here, we quite like people who create wealth!

Oh em thats turning into a bit of a rant, what I'm tying to say is no, my preference is for the local media.

Bob

I miss radio 2 & 4 comedy (have been known to listen to Terry whilst cooking dinner and JR on a saturday morning) and The Times T2 but apart from those two one of the things I mss least is the British media - particularly the paper variety. Used to make my blood boil the tosh they print in the name of public interest. Raise people up to be the nations darling one week only to squish them down in the gutter the next. And who the chuffing hell cares if a bloke who can kick a football around has got a girlfriend that likes to go shopping? Who are these people! Ggrrrrrr... don't get me started! Anyway, might finally learn how to master my Ipod if the Radio 4 comedy is podcast - anyone?
    Nanny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast