Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital radio

Default Digital radio

Hi
    I was just wondering if a digital radio brought from England will work in New Zealand.I'm not sure about anything technical you see.
    Many thanks
    Helen

Quote Originally Posted by britzy View Post
    Hi
    I was just wondering if a digital radio brought from England will work in New Zealand.I'm not sure about anything technical you see.
    Many thanks
    Helen
    If its a DAB radio then as a general rule the answer is no.

There are some trials in some areas but it is likely that they will use DAB+ if they do decide to broadcast using that system.

Does your radio also have an FM option? If so, then that part will still work.

Ian

so no Planet Rock or Birdsong channel then!?

A quick forum search brings up this: http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-6247.html

But that was some time ago- have a look here: http://www.digitalradio.co.nz/

Unless things have changed the real issue may be that the sort of band or wave (not sure of the correct terms, lol!) is different to the one UK radios are used to receiving- unless you get a 'triwave', which receives global digital- Pure do a gorgeous one but I can't get it here in Oz.

Hi,
    I've just purchased portable internet radio to allow me to continue to listen to Radio 5 Live, etc. It uses an ethernet or wireless connect to your router

The Radio is the Roberts WM202 for £146 from John Lewis. The radio also has FM & DAB.

NB. Radio 5 Live doesn't have the rights to broadcast live football outside of the UK but all other programmes are there.

Hi, I've got a DAB/FM radio and I can only get reception when using FM.

I miss DAB radio (sigh)

Cheers, Carole

p.s. I miss BBC radio too (sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy&Carol View Post
    p.s. I miss BBC radio too (sigh)
    Hi Andy&Carol, you know you can listen to BBC radio online or podcast shows and listen via your mp3 player or stereo.

I feel your pain though- for ages I just missed the BBC commentary on life. I wanted the BBC to be in NZ, the Archers to shift to rural Canterbury etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Hi Andy&Carol, you know you can listen to BBC radio online or podcast shows and listen via your mp3 player or stereo.

I feel your pain though- for ages I just missed the BBC commentary on life. I wanted the BBC to be in NZ, the Archers to shift to rural Canterbury etc.

Thanks Kanga, I've half-heartedly tried to listen to 'on air now' programmes, it's always at breakfast time that I feel I need BBC Radio, but because I'm always rushing around it's quicker to just switch the radio on! Radio NZ National is good for talk radio.

Strangely, I miss the Archers too! And Radio 2.

Small price to pay I suppose!

Cheers, Carole

BBC world service on am 810 (thats what we have the car radio set to) it has a fair few radio 4 programmes on there as well as the posh sounding news

Quote Originally Posted by Andy&Carol View Post
    Thanks Kanga, I've half-heartedly tried to listen to 'on air now' programmes, it's always at breakfast time that I feel I need BBC Radio, but because I'm always rushing around it's quicker to just switch the radio on! Radio NZ National is good for talk radio.

Strangely, I miss the Archers too! And Radio 2.

Small price to pay I suppose!

Cheers, Carole
    I agree- but you don't need to 'listen live' and therefore have evening shows at breakfast etc (I can't stand that- I'm 9hrs ahead of the Beeb here so can listen live to lots but I don't want to have everything topsy turvey) have you looked at BBC R4 iplayer? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_radio_four

If you find your favourite show to listen to (I liked Woman's Hour for after the school run doing chores), bookmark it then you're only a few clicks away from listening to the latest show whenever you want. Do you have decent speakers attached to your PC or laptop?

Radio NZ is pretty good but it took some getting used to music after news reports and the slightly less robust, sloppier standard of journalism- I think the ideal would be to listen to Radio NZ to get your ear in on NZ news and the BBC world service for global news and then Radio 4 for comedy (particularly anything with Richard Herring), The Archers and all the excellent programmes they have ... moral maze, thinking allowed, all in the mind, Reith lectures, Woman's Hour, from our own correspondant, the afternoon play ... Oh wah- I'm all missing Radio 4 now- it isn't the same when living out of the UK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast