Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remind me why not to live in Wellington.

Oh and crowded...I think not! Got to be one of the least crowded capital cities (or even big cities for that matter) in the world!

Having grown up in the plains and spent years being able to see up / out / around for long distances, I find Wellington claustrophobic -- the hills and buildings seem to close in on you, esp. in the CBD. I used to get in the car and drive north to the Waiarapa just to see some terrain that felt expansive and open. Probably just a flat-lander issue

Quote Originally Posted by SarahEDH View Post
    Having grown up in the plains and spent years being able to see up / out / around for long distances, I find Wellington claustrophobic --
    Let's be honest compared to the US plains MOST places on earth are going to seem claustrophobic. At least in Wellington you get views over water from most places and great views from the top of those hills!

....but to retrun to the thread ....Remind me why not to live in Wellington.....

....Days like yesterday and today !!! It's pouring down and low cloud - all sports grounds closed....so I'll have to stay in the cafe's, pubs and clubs all weekend.....not so bad then after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    Let's be honest compared to the US plains MOST places on earth are going to seem claustrophobic. At least in Wellington you get views over water from most places and great views from the top of those hills!

....but to retrun to the thread ....Remind me why not to live in Wellington.....

....Days like yesterday and today !!! It's pouring down and low cloud - all sports grounds closed....so I'll have to stay in the cafe's, pubs and clubs all weekend.....not so bad then after all!
    I said why NOT to live in Wellington. Also, my wife went to school in Kansas, and I've driven through it a couple of times. As noted, there's pretty much no where else that isn't going to seem crowded compared to that!

sorry can't help you there!

Default to clarify . . .

The U.S. plains have their cities, too, with varying degrees of density in the built environment, and different topography -- it's not all empty space that is flat as a board, as those in the Missouri Ozarks or Flint Hills of Kansas can confirm. I must have not have expressed the thought very well in my previous post. I meant to give my impression (opinion only, not trying to offend anyone) of feeling closed-in by the particular building patterns and landforms of Wellington's CBD and surrounds. I don't get that impression in Auckland or most other bigger NZ cities, none of which can be compared to the U.S. Midwest. (The plains of Canterbury probably come closest.)

Yes, that's one of the features of Wellington that makes it seem like a much bigger city than it is--that dense, compact feel. By comparison, Christchurch does not seem like a big city at all, just because of the layout.

Wellington could really benefit from a light rail or some type of mass transit from the train station to the end of Courtenay Place. I'm often amazed how crowded with pedestrians Lambton Quay can be.

I sat and I thought, I didn't come up with much. Ok the weather is a bit pants by NZ standards, but hell I'm from Yorkshire so every day in Welly is a sunny day to me.

Ok things I don't like,, the local student unions executive (note: I blame the executive not the students here) refused to attend a memorial for the fallen solders, I cant begin to tell you how much that saddened me.

The locals, em well their all pretty decent to be honest, the restaurants, bars, cafes, events em nope their all good.

actually the other day I was waiting for the bus, it had gone by early and I'd missed it,,, what an utter git that bus driver was eh.

Oh the neighbors are sweet though, they gave me a lift to town..

Bob

Erm... hmmm....... nope can't think of anything to add to this thread, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_the_engineer View Post
    actually the other day I was waiting for the bus, it had gone by early and I'd missed it,,, what an utter git that bus driver was eh.

Bob
    Yeah that's a good one. This is the only place in the world (that I've seen anyway) where the official bus timetables say somthing like "This is only a rough guess as to when the buses may or may not arrive". Like you say I don't have much of problem with them being a bit late but it's those which are there 5-10 minutes early and leave you stranded

....so we do have a light public transport system - They're called Go Buses!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast