Thread: Water consumption, liver enzyme test?

Default Water consumption, liver enzyme test?

*this is a hypothetical question, and I'm NOT trying to 'cheat' a liver enzyme test, as this would only be a detriment to myself and my health*

My question is, would drinking a few gallons of water an hour prior to a liver enzyme test reduce the count? My thought is that since a lot of water consumption would thin the blood, wouldn't it also show a lower enzyme count?

I couldn't beleave some one can die from drinking water, at least I have biger target to "die" for then video game

my be if make a smaller portions in longer period of time it will work better?

Hey dozent, I didn't click the link provided by Nathan, but I'm assuming it points to something about a California radio station killing a listener by convincing her to drink 3 gallons of water. Water intoxication is a very real risk; locked psych facilities have no drinking fountains, as there are numerous psychiatric illnesses that cause excessive water intake...to the point of death.

To answer your question about smaller portions of water over a longer period of time: Assuming you are otherwise healthy, your kidneys will just handle the increase in fluid intake with increased urination. There's a range to what your kidneys think is normal fluid balance; you probably could lower your liver enzymes by a small amount by being well hydrated...but even a 10% reduction is not going to make a whole lot of difference unless you were right above the ULN (upper limit of normal) to begin with.

On a theoretical note: if you could "thin the blood" enough to lower your liver enzymes (which would be easier accomplished with IV fluid versus water), you would also dilute every other marker the lab will be measuring. Among other things, you would end up looking anemic; if they did a full liver work up, you might appear to be in liver failure (low albumin, low INR, etc.).

One last thing, you can probably lower your AST by a few of points just by refraining from anything more strenuous than mild activity for a couple of days before the blood draw. (This would have no affect on ALT).

Off to work,

Doc Mike

Thanks Doc, I guess its a really bad idea, the case is closed,
    I know I'm healthy but a small over limit reading is holding me back on all the processes. I just was hoping to find a way to avoid all unnecessary running around and spending more money on stupid tests.
    If I had elivated GGT with 86 of 0-60 all the rest is ok,any way to fix it just for the test?
    I rather to straight all the results before sending the whole staff away.