Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Providing Immigration Advice – Please Read

Does "Do it now, you fool - before it's too late!" count as immigration advice?!

The licensing act is a piece of consumer-protection legislation aimed at unqualified "advisers" charging lots of money for worthless services. (Whether that can be said of all immigration advisers is another story...) Please don't indulge in paranoia or self-aggrandisement by worrying about your posts on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
    self-aggrandisement.
    Oooh, now that's a new word to me RJ. I just LOVE coming across new words.

What does it mean????

I made that post just so I could use that word!

Would this include e-mails as well? I mean, if I wanted to solicit advice from a NZ resident, would they be prohibited from giving me their advice?

Quote Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
    The licensing act is a piece of consumer-protection legislation aimed at unqualified "advisers" charging lots of money for worthless services. (Whether that can be said of all immigration advisers is another story...) Please don't indulge in paranoia or self-aggrandisement by worrying about your posts on this forum.
    Very good to know . . . btw, I do love that word aggrandisment!

Quote Originally Posted by CaraLee View Post
    Would this include e-mails as well? I mean, if I wanted to solicit advice from a NZ resident, would they be prohibited from giving me their advice?
    This law applies to everybody, but, as it explains in the first post on this thread, within limits. An NZ resident can privately do what we can do on the forum - point out publicly available information, and share their own experiences. They should NOT say, 'You ought to do x, y and z,' unless they're licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This law applies to everybody, but, as it explains in the first post on this thread, within limits. An NZ resident can privately do what we can do on the forum - point out publicly available information, and share their own experiences. They should NOT say, 'You ought to do x, y and z,' unless they're licensed.
    aww gotcha . . . in other words, they can preface advice with, "in my opionion . . . " or "I personally think . . . "

good to know.

It seems a shame. I feel we prefer advice from people that experienced similar issues to our own. Not to mention that a lot of immigration agents are just so expensive and you can gain knowledge and get free advice from people with no financial interest in it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast