Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Plymouth - What made you move to New Plymouth?

For all you guys that arent sure about New Plymouth, it was never top of our list either, Tauranga was. We had the luxury of being able to have a bit of a tour round and when we ended up in Tauranga, there was no work for me.
    I had the interview here lined up just before we came out. So we came down, I did the interview and we stayed for about 2 days. We carried on round the North Island going through Taupo, Rotarua, Papamoa and then Tauranga, no work for me anywhere. So we did the Coromandel (holiday mode by now!!) and then to Auckland. Had an interview at North Shore and got offered the job. But by now, I had been offered the job in New Plymouth as well!! One sleepless night later, we decided on here.

It was a combination of lifestyle that we wanted and wether we could afford to live in Auckland. We decided on here, because we thought it might be a bit nearer to our NZ dream, which it is. I've got nothing against Auckland, but we felt it wasnt for us. We feel we've made the right decision and we really like it for all the reasons I mentioned before. It didnt take us long to realise it either.
    Yes, it is a bit out of the way, but thats kind of the beauty a little bit. We're lucky, in that, my family and I dont mind traveling, so we go out of Taranaki every now and then, we certainly dont get cabin fever!! Makes us go and see more of this beautiful place. And you get use to the travel times!!

Basically, at the moment, I think its important to go where your work is, but if you do have a chance, check us out!!

ByebyeUK

If only it were that simple, but unfortunately we have two little people in tow. Not that six months in a campervan would do them any harm I am sure but I think that it might be better for them not to get into too much of a holiday mode as school may be a shock!

Basically, at the moment, I think its important to go where your work is
    I think that will be the important thing for us to Motleybeast.

Mamee

How old are your littl'uns?

They're seven. One could do with a trek from school but would hate it as he loves school. The other hates school and I am not sure that I would find it terribly easy to get him back there if he were away too long.....but we will see what the future holds for us and what the finances are like...a tour would be a brilliant way to start a new life!

Mamee

Motleybeast I have only just found this thread because for some reason I hadn't even thought of Taranaki as a potential place to go to until today! You should work for the New Plymouth tourist board because you have sold the place beautifully!

I'm way off actually coming to NZ but I love reading all the posts about the places I'm interested in. Up until now, Hastings and Napier, Tauranga, and Nelson have been top of my list, but after reading your post, NP is up there too!

I'm almost bursting with excitement about coming to NZ on a caravaning holiday in 2010 so I can see it all for myself!

I like New Plymouth and I don't find it too big a deal being far from places, we have flown a few times to Wellington and Auckland, it's only about 45 minutes and there's quite a lot of things locally. I think if you're able to spend some time looking at different places you can get a feel of what is right for you.

Just got back from a three-day stay in New Plymouth, and I was very favorably impressed. Everything that's great about New Zealand is there. If you don't need to live in or near a big city, you should check out Taranaki.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
    Just got back from a three-day stay in New Plymouth, and I was very favorably impressed. Everything that's great about New Zealand is there. If you don't need to live in or near a big city, you should check out Taranaki.
    My favourite locations are Taranaki and Christchurch (Canterbury)... in these order... I hope I can find a job there...

Cheers

Is there much going on in the area over Easter? I'm thinking of taking my Easter hols in Taranaki as it's somewhere that I haven't been yet.

Probably too late for the original poster but there may be others that stumble upon this thread.

We moved to NP 6 years ago after originally planning to go to Christchurch. We have 2 school age boys and it has been a very good childhood for them here.

However, we have decided to leave. Loads of reasons and not an easy decision. New Plymouth's isolation is both its greatest asset and its worst. We really feel that there is not enough here to sustain us.

If anyone out there wants some specifics on NP please get in touch would be very happy to pass on any useful info.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast