Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Plymouth - What made you move to New Plymouth?

Default New Plymouth - What made you move to New Plymouth?

What made you move to New Plymouth?

..and are you happy that you made the right choice?

I guess no one lives there?! Potentially moving there myself, so curious to know what people have to say...

Well, this is a good start...

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22163

Hi, only just seen your thread....

We've been here 9 months now and we love it. We're a family of 4, the kids are 5 and 7.

From my wife looking over my shoulder....The sea, the mountain, the surf, no traffic, no problems parking, community spirit.
    Dislikes - miles to get anywhere else (Auckland 6 hrs, Wellington 5 hrs, Taupo 5 hrs, Palmy North 3 hrs, Hamilton 3hrs), lack of choice in shops(female point of view), I think its fine.

From me...Its off the beaten track a bit!! We cant compare it to anywhere else, as we've only lived here, but there's just something about the place. We were reluctant to come here as we thought it appeared a little dull with little to do, but now living here we feel we have definitely made the right choice. It has got a certain something.

We have a very pro-active mayor here and he has been instumental in getting the town to be the up and coming place that it is.

I'm not sure about the employment levels here, but we have the oil and farm industries, so we are not as affected by the recession. But as my wife says, we are miles from anywhere else.

We've got the beaches if you're into surfing. Some of the guys at work are into kyacking(both sea and river). We've got the mountain if you're into skiing(I've been twice this year already).

There's Pukekura Park where in the summer, we have the festival of lights and a different band (local and national) playing every night for free. You can go along with your picnic and wine and just crash on the grass listening to the music.
    Also in the summer, there's some kind of carnival or activity happening somewhere, either in town or down the coast in Oakura or Opunake.

We have the big Americana car festival(although not sure if its happening next year). About 400 american cars descend on New Plymouth for a weekend. And a big high street parade on friday night which is pretty cool.

This year we've had Billy Connolly, Simply Red and Jimmy Barnes play here, amongst other NZ bands like Shihad and Opshop.

The longest you would have to travel across town from one end to the other, would be 15 mins max(by car). I ride my bike to work, 5 mins.
    Rush hour lasts for about 10 mins. My wife cracked up the first time she saw this. She said she turned around, and the long line of traffic that was there, just disappeared!!

There's loads of coffee shops and nice little restauranty places to go to. The town centre isnt massive but it still takes a good hour to walk round all the shops. I love walking round the centre.

The coastal walkway is right next to the town as well, which is stunning(the picture in my avatar). Its a 6 km walkway along the front of New Plymouth. We have spent many sundays as a family on bike rides down to the Big Wave Cafe and sitting on their comfy chairs, drinking coffee and looking out to sea.

Its not perfect, there are some issues, which I dont think are massive and I think you'll find in many other places. For instance, the guys at work tell me, its getting worse for fights at the weekends, but I was out on Friday and I didnt see anything remotely bad. We have boy racers, but they're not a nuisance.
    Also, there dosnt appear to be a big gang culture here. I work with about 5 young guys, who have lived here all their lives and they never mention gangs. Dont get me wrong, I'm sure its there, but it's not a big thing, it certainly dosnt make the local paper.

I feel very safe here and have no problems walking around the place with my family. And having the sea next to us, seems to have a very calming effect, especially on me!!

Anyway, I've gone on a bit, but basically we like it!!!!

If there's anything in particular you want to know, just ask.

Sorry, in answer to the op...

Work(I'm a mechanic), and yes!!!

Motleybeast, thanks for a swift and expansive reply...you almost have me sold with that one! As your wife rightly points out, it is the remoteness that is probably the main detractor...otherwise it is pretty much perfect. If things work out, I might just have to look you up!

Thanks from us too, we are visiting in November with a view to settling In New Plymouth, so its good to your views

Thanks

Golly!! We are getting popular!!

Well, get yourselves over here folks, its a great little place.

Question

Have you had the experience of skiing/snowboarding at Mt. Ruapehu and Mt. Egmont yet? How do they compare in terms of powder and steepness?

[QUOTE=Motleybeast;301365
    We've got the beaches if you're into surfing. Some of the guys at work are into kyacking(both sea and river). We've got the mountain if you're into skiing(I've been twice this year already).
    [/QUOTE]

Wasn't New Plymouth voted something like best town internationally also? I am sure they got a prize recently, short after the other one!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast