Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Driving Licences

Default New Zealand Driving Licences

Today I got my very own Kiwi driving licence.

You have one year from entering the country to convert your licence. It was a very simple process, Filling in a DL5 form from the AA centre, taking it with photocopies and originals of your passport, UK driving licence, and proof of address, such as bank statement etc.

Whilst there they check your vision, take your photo and electronic signature, issue you with a temporary licence and the new one should be back within 2 weeks. I was there for about 20 mins, including queuing time.

hope this info helps someone

Hels

Quote Originally Posted by Helsandfamily View Post
    Today I got my very own Kiwi driving licence.

You have one year from entering the country to convert your licence. It was a very simple process, Filling in a DL5 form from the AA centre, taking it with photocopies and originals of your passport, UK driving licence, and proof of address, such as bank statement etc.

Whilst there they check your vision, take your photo and electronic signature, issue you with a temporary licence and the new one should be back within 2 weeks. I was there for about 20 mins, including queuing time.

hope this info helps someone

Hels
    This of course only applies to countries that are considered comparable such as the UK.

See Factsheet 56 for more details.

Ian

Just make sure you get copies of your passport and licence before you go there - my OH went to the VTNZ to get his Kiwi licence the other day and they were going to charge him $10 for 3 photocopies

Quote Originally Posted by jeffanar View Post
    Just make sure you get copies of your passport and licence before you go there - my OH went to the VTNZ to get his Kiwi licence the other day and they were going to charge him $10 for 3 photocopies
    I was asked to pay $3 for the photcopies which was done on 2 sheets of paper..... It would have copst me more to return home and do it myself though..

Quote Originally Posted by jeffanar View Post
    I did it at the AA and was not charged anything other than the standard fee.

Must just be the VTNZ trying to rip people off then!

What eyesight test do they do??

Quote Originally Posted by tyhapus View Post
    What eyesight test do they do??
    Think it depends on where you go, AA that I went to I had to look into amachine which did flashes but OH went to VTNZ & he did something a bit different

Also- you need proof that your license has been valid for 2+ years. In some states in the US you have to renew every four years, and so you may need to bring proof from your local BMV/DMV that your license has been valid since X date.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Also- you need proof that your license has been valid for 2+ years.
    YUP!! OH's license was TOO new when we went in the first time... luckily he happened to have his old one at the house!

I can't get mine yet because NZIS has our marriage license... My passport has my maiden name on it... and my DL has both maiden and married name... so I need the marriage license to show why the name difference!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast