Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there no jobs in Christchurch?

Default Are there no jobs in Christchurch?

we have been looking for jobs for nearly 2 months now with pretty much no luck. we have tried applying for everything including shelf packing at pak and save but heard nothing.

i work in the IT industry as a trade, and i have had 2 interviews (still waiting to hear back from one) but other than that... nothing.

we have been searching seek, trademe and careerjet everyday and we apply for what we can but still havent got anything back.

my girlfreind (who is a florist by trade) has a 2 week job as a cust service rep in the new floor in the westpack mall at the end of the month which is at least something.

today i am going to do what i thought i would never have to.... get application forms for Mc donalds and other establishments it has got that bad!

other than websites and the weekend paper, is there any other ways of getting quick part/full time work, kinda like a job centre?

or if anyone knows of any work going then please give me a shout!

No advice to offer, just wanted to say I think you're right to take anything for now and keep looking- any port in a storm and all that. Hoping for some good luck for you soon.

Hi there,
    it helps to have a good network of IT people, a lot of them seem to know each other and Christchurch is a small place. Check out the Canterbury software cluster website
    www.canterburysoftware.org.nz
    they organise events/ talks and it is a good way to get to know people. Not sure if it will get you a job but no harm to try.
    Laura

thanks for the replys!

i have applied for a few more jobs today, some retail and some other random jobs that dont require experience.

it takes a while writing a good cover letter for each one especially when its just a part time position but i hope to stand out from the others.

thanks for the reccomendation for the IT club, although i am in IT infrastructure support and security i think i will still attend the next talk, i have signed up for the news letter and the next one is next month.

christ church is definatly our favorate place in NZ, but i am starting to wonder if we would have had better luck in wellington

Try these;

http://www.newkiwis.co.nz/

Nick.

I'm also looking for an I.T. job. But I'm in Auckland. You're not alone in your job search. I know how you're feeling. Hopefully, All of us looking for jobs can soon find one. Good luck.

have you tried Tait Electronics?

James, although this is a Wellington-based group, you might want to see if you can network through them, too: http://up.org.nz/ This group, Unlimited Potential, recently added the former Wellies group to their membership. The Wellies were a group of expat IT professionals. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by james17602 View Post
    i am in IT infrastructure support and security
    Have you tried Telecom? (telecom.co.nz and check for careers) Not Christhcurch, but check the role in New Plymouth that mentions Security for VoiP...

Have you been in touch with Christchurch City Council? Not sure what type of IT experience you have and if its right for the vacancies they have but I do now that there are some vacancies in the IT Department at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast