Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohh it's a little chilly... brrrr

Default Ohh it's a little chilly... brrrr

I'm in Ngaio and it's getting COLD! Anyone else feeling it?

All I can say is I AM SO GLAD I GOT A RENTAL WITH A HEAT PUMP!

Only downside is that it only heats the lounge, but it gets really nice and toasty when I crank it up to 31 degrees and shut all the doors

If it helps anyone, me and other half have a shower each in the morning, and a shower each in the evening. Heat Pump on every night 5.30pm - 10pm. Our 1920's railway house villa is insulated. Leccy Bill comes in @ $150 per month (Meridian Energy)

Just bought a 17 fin 2400w Oil heater and dehumidifier from TradeMe that I'll put on a timer for the bedroom ($150 for both)

Anyone thinking of moving to NZ, for crying out loud make sure that you get a house with some kind of heating, you will be so grateful for it!

Hi pleccy2000

We are renting a house with NO heating at all brrrrr FREEZING morning, day and night we have bought 3 oil heaters and I still feel cold so we are learning to wear LOTS of layers while indoors our landlord gave us a dehumidifier and to tell you the truth we don't know why so could you please explain why we also use the dehumidifie, this is probably a really dumb question from a dumb female then again OH is not so smart

Natasha

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty69 View Post
    Hi pleccy2000

We are renting a house with NO heating at all brrrrr FREEZING morning, day and night we have bought 3 oil heaters and I still feel cold so we are learning to wear LOTS of layers while indoors our landlord gave us a dehumidifier and to tell you the truth we don't know why so could you please explain why we also use the dehumidifie, this is probably a really dumb question from a dumb female then again OH is not so smart

Natasha
    Not a dumb question at all. My main reason for buying a dehumidifier is because dry air is a lot easier to heat than damp air, so I'll time the dehumidifier to come on say 2pm-6pm each day, then time to oil heater to come on 7pm-9pm, hopefully that's sort the bedroom out.

Also my asthma is being affected my the damp cold air, so I'd like to be able to breathe a bit better also.

At the moment, I hung a pair of jeans to dry in the spare room, and they weren't completely dry after 4 days of hanging!!!

I am also wearing three layers under my work shirts, and for the first time in my life I'm sleeping in clothes and socks, just to survive the night. (and a hot water bottle).

I wonder how everyone else is dealing with damp and cold?

Natasha - Maybe your oil heaters aren't big/powerful enough?

You need a dehumidifier as it takes lots of energy to heat water and not as much to heat air. So you use the dehumidifier to get rid of the water in the air and it should save you money and make your heater more efficient.

The other thing that helps is, if you have overhead fans, to turn these onto the winter setting (or just very low speed). As hot air rises you can end up with lots of hot air at the ceiling so a fan pushes this back down to keep you warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty69 View Post
    could you please explain why we also use the dehumidifie, this is probably a really dumb question from a dumb female then again OH is not so smart

Natasha
    Read this thread - Bob the Engineer explains why a dehumidifier helps with keeping a house warm and, most importantly, dry.
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....t=dehumidifier

We have been wondering HOW much our electric bill will be this month due to heaters being on.
    So I'm just going to switch of my heaters for a while and plug in the dehumidifier so hopefully I will notice a difference. Thank you

The Dumb Female

I had resigned to the fact I needed socks and sometimes a balaclava when I go to bed. A recent indulgence is the use of an electric blanket... ooooohh, a toasty bed is always nice to have, plus I need not have many (or any) layers on under the duvet which is much more comfy. Then again I'm a bachelor bloke living alone so I can get away with stuff like that

Aye tad chilly down here too .........

No heating in our rental so got 2 portable gas fires that we run in lounge and kitchen /dinner just the one bar from when we get in till we go to bed to leccy blanket warmth

Not a lot of insulation here so no surprise we're maxing it in our build

Last visit I got the sleepout to myself and though it wasn't well insulated I had an oil heater and an electric sheepskin on the mattress. It was heavenly! I just had to remember to run out there to turn them on a half hour before bedtime

Quote Originally Posted by pleccy2000 View Post
    Not a dumb question at all. My main reason for buying a dehumidifier is because dry air is a lot easier to heat than damp air, so I'll time the dehumidifier to come on say 2pm-6pm each day, then time to oil heater to come on 7pm-9pm, hopefully that's sort the bedroom out.

Also my asthma is being affected my the damp cold air, so I'd like to be able to breathe a bit better also.

At the moment, I hung a pair of jeans to dry in the spare room, and they weren't completely dry after 4 days of hanging!!!

I am also wearing three layers under my work shirts, and for the first time in my life I'm sleeping in clothes and socks, just to survive the night. (and a hot water bottle).

I wonder how everyone else is dealing with damp and cold?

Natasha - Maybe your oil heaters aren't big/powerful enough?
    We have a gas heater and dehumidifier. We all sleep with our electric blankets on minimum 2 at night and wear thermo underwear 2 pairs of socks each.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast