Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Mowers - Bring Yours!

Default Landscaping

Hi All :cool

Landscaping services are plentiful. They usually seemed to be combined with pest control, window washing, sheep shearing or something.

We've used a local landscaper and they charge about NZ$15/Hr. But if they have a truck with a name on the side of it, it's probably a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaLG
    Rae,

You are making me jealous with the steam cleaner and compressor talk! Rick (my man) has been talking about running tools from our scuba tanks but a full-on compressor would be even better! I'll have to give him that idea and see where he goes with it.

Guess I will stick with the push-mower as I really cannot justify buying a powered one given our relatively small lawn. Oh well. Some day I will have a lawn big enough for that ride-on John Deere you mentioned Rich!

The outdoor thing we REALLY want to bring is our beautiful hot tub...forget the shipping we would gladly pay it....but the HZ thing is insurmountable! Drat NZ for choosing 50!

Melissa
    LOL, Melissa, sounds like we're both married to boys who must have toys!! Seriously, Steve has such an investment in all his tools, he had to have some way to run them all once we're there. And if you haven't priced power tools in NZ yet, you're in for a dreadful shock -- no pun intended!! Steve is extremely handy (being a Kiwi and all), and he's saved us thousands of dollars with his DIY projects. I've learned to just say, "Yes, dear," when he tells me he needs something else!!

Don't worry about the hot tub -- they do have them in NZ. I've seen quite a number of homes offered with them! We're giving up ours as well.. may build an old fashioned California style one once we're settled. Payback for all the new Tooltime Toys!!

All the best, Rae

Default ..cant have too many tools!

A man can't have too many tools, its like having a "bolt on accessory"

I'd like to get a petrol mower the flymo has ruined the lawn here and I'll start a fresh in NZ.

But I'm sure Linda will be doing her nut :eek at the list of tools I'd like to take with me that I havent got.

No need though yet as I'm sure we'll be renting for a while before I get started on my projects.

Sheep can be bought for less than NZ $50, wouldn't one of those be cheaper than the mower, less labour too?

If your garden is small, share the sheep with a neighbour!

Cheers,

Yogi.

Default Lawn Mowers

I'm just back on the Forum after a while off, and thank goodness I saw this post, Rich, you've saved us once again! My hubby will go over his Sears mega-mower with tweezers and white gloves in order to bring it! I never knew he was so attached to it! We now have a yard that is 3/4 gravel, 1/4 weed, so it takes me 10 minutes tops to mow, but our new yard, grass aplenty! Right now a guy is mowing it for $25, which I guess is pretty reasonable. And Rae, we are leaving behind an old California hot tub, I weep as I write this!!! Hope I can get another one too! :cool

Default Lawn Mowers - Bring Yours!

Hi Allison :cool

Welcome back!

No worries, there are plenty of hot tubs to be had here. :mrgreen:

A man and his mower should never be parted He'll be glad he brought his...just make sure you list it on your import declaration. :booby

I still haven't broken down and purchased a new one...just kills me to spend that much on one that's not even as good as the one I left behind...sold it for US$75! Aurgh!!

We're paying a fellow NZ$15/hr. to take care of our yard at the moment. But sooner or later I'll have to bite the bullet. :?

I spent a happy few hours last week cleaning the mower with a pressure cleaner, followed by a scubber, followed by a toothbrush, and it is now the cleanest mower I've ever seen! I almost WANT Maf to look at it now so I can gleam with pride! :P

Can anyone enighten me as to how much a pressure washer is in NZ? Cos if they're a lot then I might get one here before we go...

Thank you,
    Dianne

Hi, Dianne,

Congratulations on the sale of your home!!! Can you believe you're finally going?? Sooooo happy for you!!!

Re pressure washers, without even looking I can tell you that a pressure washer in NZ will be between 3-5 times more expensive than getting one in the UK. My husband advises that here in the US, pressure washers cost between USD5-600 and in NZ are between NZD2-2500. So there you have it. Bring everything!!

Huuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggsssssssss, Rae

Default Lawn Mowers - Bring Yours!

Hi All :cool

Well, we finally broke down and bought a lawn mower a couple of weeks ago...$850 NZD with a cash discount...ouch! :eek

But it's a nice one...Victa (Oz brand) Razor mulch and bag type. It does a great job but it still stings in the wallet. A similar model in the U.S. would be about 30% less.

You can certainly find ones for less and many for much more, but like most anything else, you get what you pay for donít' you?

Hey, our lawn looks good though!

This is one thing that, I think about; my UK mower (waste of space Flymo), has ruined 2 lawns - had I known they we're so rubbish would've changed it at conception!

Borrowed neighbours petrol mowers which are far superior, are NZ mowers mostly petrol as they are now in the uk £120-£300 for a mountfield 4.0hp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast