Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Mowers - Bring Yours!

Default Lawn Mowers - Bring Yours!

Hi All :cool

Here's a quick one about lawn mowers. Small thing I know, but if you have a good lawn mower and plan on buying a place with a lawn here, bring it with you! The cost of lawn mowers here literally shocked us. Some sell for NZ$1200 or more! :eek Okay, you can get a decent one for around NZ$500, but that's still about 50% more than we're used to paying in the U.S.!

We had a nice one but understood that the MAF had problems with people importing them so we sold it for US$75 before we moved. Aurgh! :? Now that we're here we found out that if you clean them up really well...no mud, clippings in the bag, etc., it's not a problem. You'll have to empty the gas tank completely, etc. too, but it's really worth it.

Say...if you have a good one and aren't planning on using it here, bring it anyway...I'll buy it!!

I was worried about reading this post - we have literally just given our big petrol mower to my brother....

BUT - relieved to say that if we can buy one in NZ for c. NZ$500 then that's not too bad - ours costs c. NZ$600 4 yrs ago here in the UK and it's been well-used.

Phew!

Thanks for info Rich....

Hey Rich,

We've got a manual push mower. Think its worth it to buy a new gas mower here and bring it with us? We do have a lawn in NZ, but its not that big.

We also have some various electric gardening thingys like a weed wacker and hedge hog and leaf hog. Based on previous advice on the forum, we are planning on taking them with us and getting a gas-powered generator (here in the US) to run them in NZ.

Also, through the magic of ebay, we invested in a gas pressure washer to help clean all of our gardening equipment, camping gear, and outdoor stuff, including pet stuff. I love that thing!! I highly recommend one to anyone who has to clean stuff for import to NZ.

LOL, Melissa,

We Californians must all think alike.. we're doing exactly the same thing!! Gas generator, steam cleaner/power washer, and DH must have a compressor for his tools, as well!! We're buying a new lawnmower just for the migration.. We may bring the old one over as well.. a spare for the really rough work!! If they charge us duty on the new one, so be it -- will still be a huge savings over buying one in NZ!!

Rich, you serious about the mower? We'll be happy to throw one in our container for you, if you want!! I saw your laughing guy, but thought, still, mebbe... delighted if it helps you out. And thanks as always for the great information -- hate to think where we'd be without you as our Numero Uno Trailblazer!!

LawnMowerzRUs, Rae

Default Lawn Mowers - Bring Yours!

Hi Rae, Melissa and Moorf,

A gas powered generator...why didn't I think of that?! (Insert smiley slapping his forehead). Although at US$3.20 a gallon it'll cost a bit more to run here.

Melissa, a push mower is probably fine if you'll have one of those postage stamp sized lawns. Ours isn't big enough for a John Deere riding mower, but close! And you can certainly bring the rest. Weed whackers and such are fairly cheap here...it's just the darn mowers!

And a power washer?! You guys are killing me!! Wish you would have told me before we moved! *Sigh*

Thanks for the mower offer Rae, but it probably wouldn't be worth the effort...we'll find one here...just whining a bit.

Default Power Washer

We livein the Carolinas, where mildew on driveways ans houses is a big problem. Do you find the same need for a power washer in NZ?

Default Mildew

Hi Junnifer,

Absolutely, particularly on non-northern exposures. Pressure washers and mildew killers are very big here! :

Rae,

You are making me jealous with the steam cleaner and compressor talk! Rick (my man) has been talking about running tools from our scuba tanks but a full-on compressor would be even better! I'll have to give him that idea and see where he goes with it.

Guess I will stick with the push-mower as I really cannot justify buying a powered one given our relatively small lawn. Oh well. Some day I will have a lawn big enough for that ride-on John Deere you mentioned Rich!

The outdoor thing we REALLY want to bring is our beautiful hot tub...forget the shipping we would gladly pay it....but the HZ thing is insurmountable! Drat NZ for choosing 50!

Melissa

How common, and expensive, is it to just have a gardener take care of your lawn? I don't own a lawn mower now but given that I am planning on simplyifying a bit realize we may not have a gardener any more so I may need to pick one up!

Chris

there do seem to be lots of lawnmowing services about so you shouldn't have a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast