Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where and how to get a prepaid credit/debit card?

Default Where and how to get a prepaid credit/debit card?

My bank won't let me get a debit card or a credit card since we're not here on PR, but I would like to buy things in NZD online with a credit card, so I was wondering where people would recommend getting a prepaid debit card from?

Thanks!

We got a debt card through Kiwibank...

Hi, well I was a student also once in auckland and the bank had no issues in offering me a credit card (though with a low limit of just 500 NZD which I declined and later when I was working they offered me a 5000 NZD credit card that I happily accepted)
    Im wondering why the bank will not issue you a debit or credit card when you hold an account with them
    maybe its their new policy due to recession to minimise the risk of defauklters...

well anyways.....a debit card (known as EFTPOS in NZ) is available to every customer of any bank....its very starnge why the bank denied you that too....

I suggest you talk to the bank again and ask for a low limit credit card and of course EFTPOS should not be a problem....
    or you can talk to other banks for a credit card..Im sure they will have no problem with a low limit card....

All the best!!

I hope you mean debit card rather than debt card

Best way I've found is on line followed by a follow up phone call. You then take your papers down to the Post Shop and it should all work.

http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/visa-debit-card/apply.asp

The Visa Debit Card (as per the adverts) is available on line too. It costs $10 per year but is waived for the first year. Careful though DONT take cash out on it as it atracts a fee.

They also do a Zero Cost Credit Card, which if you pay it off every month is another option.

FWIW, I wouldn't advise the Post Shop pre loaded credit card- there were numerous places it wasn't accepted, including trying to buy things from amazon uk whilst in NZ, which was exactly what we bought it for and were assured it would work! It was also clumsy to work out how much was left on the card. Perhaps they've sorted it out in the last few months but thought I'd share my experience.

When the bank knew we were hopping the ditch they only allowed us a credit card when we had agreed to the limit ($500) being guaranteed from our savings- it was all so laughable really in retrospect because NZ banks are notorious for lending money to anyone!

Hi you could also get the loaded card, I have one very good

https://www.loadedcard.co.nz/

You could also look at changing banks if they won't offer you a debit card. Kiwibank, ASB and Westpac all offer them and so you could pop in for a talk.

I am with westpac. They won't give us a debit card, that's the problem.

Not worth changing banks really, too much hassle, I'd rather pay the 3% fee for using my US card over here. Hence why I'm just asking about prepay cards.

The loaded card seems to be through NZ Post as well??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast