Thread: Can I get my girlfriend Permanant Resident status now?

Default Can I get my girlfriend Permanant Resident status now?

Hi there,

I live in the US and my girlfriend is an American citizen. I got my Permanent Resident Visa approved recently. I have till March 2010 to go to NZ to "activate" it. Then it automatically starts the 2-year RRV. There's no requirement that I have to get a job in NZ or anything. I basically need to live there 184 days out of each of the 2 years, blah blah blah.

Now, if I marry my girlfriend anytime, can I immediately apply for her so she can become a Permanent Resident too? Or, can I only apply for her after I "activate" my Permanent Resident Visa? Or, can I only apply for her after I get my Indefinite RRV?

Are there job/income requirement if I want to apply for her?

Thank you!

Marriage has nothing to do with it. You have to prove that you're in a stable relationship which means you have to prove a history of one year by use of joint bills (or bills going to the same address), joint bank accounts, etc. The marriage certificate doesn't really count for anything.

http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...quirements.htm

It also looks like you would have to prove that you met before your permanent residence application was submitted. But I think there are other visas that she may be eligible for if she's not eligible for that, you should contact NZ immigration to find out what they say.

Thank you. But I had already known everything you just posted it.

If we have lived together for a year after marriage, what are the requirements ON MY PART? Income? Job? How many years has it been since I got my first Permanent Resident Status? Or, How many years has it been since I got my Indefinite RRV? These are my questions.

As Dilanium just said, and you said you knew already, marriage has nothing to do with the case.

This page, and the links off it, spell out exactly what NZ immigration say.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nsormypartner/ There is nothing here about income or job or length of time.

I don't recall anyone else on these threads having talked, even before they had activated their PR, about wanting to sponsor someone. Given the length of time it takes to process an application, I am guessing that you have not been a home-sharing couple for very long, or presumably you would have included your girlfriend in your EOI and ITA. Eventually you should qualify to get her PR through your sponsorship, but you need to start collecting evidence of your couple status immediately - find other threads about this by using the Search button.

Meantime and while you wait to be eligible, as Dilanium says, there are other visas your lady can get so as to be able to go with you as soon as you are ready to go. Exactly what you can do will depend on the details of your own cases, and NZ immigration are the best people to advise you on that. Or she might be eligible to get a work visa, working holiday visa, or BUNAC, on her own account.

JandM:

Your answer makes sense!!! Thank you for the link too!!!!!!

JandM:

In essence, my girlfriend and I don't have to get married at all in order for her to get her Permanent Resident status, correct?

If your girlfriend is under 30, then I highly recommend she gets a Working Holiday Visa. It is very easy for a US citizen to get, simple online application and took less than a week for approval. She would have 12 months to activate it and once in NZ, she'd be allowed to stay for 12 months. Then she could review her options for a more permanent situation.

Quote Originally Posted by PortlandORUSA View Post
    JandM:

In essence, my girlfriend and I don't have to get married at all in order for her to get her Permanent Resident status, correct?
    You certainly don't have to be married for NZIS purposes, and if they thought that was the reason you were married they might not be impressed. Hardly a romantic reason either ;-)

As pointed out previously, and you said you knew, they are intersted in the length and seriousness of the relationship rather than whether or not you stood up in front of a priest or a registrar and made public vows. HTH

Thanks everyone. This makes US marriage-based immigration policy totally ********. Things in New Zealand are so simple.
    Last edited by PortlandORUSA; 23rd May 2009 at 05:13 PM.