Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maori History, Culture etc

Default Maori History, Culture etc

Hi,

Looking for some suggestions here...

My local book club is biased in favour of Kiwi/Oz writers and I've just read Potiki by Patricia Grace which is about a Maori community: increasing unemployment, a return to the land, fending off would be land buyers etc. Anyway, it's a wonderfully written book and makes several references to Maori cutlure and practices of which I am an ignorance and would rather like to change, and it got me thinking - what can I read that would shed some light? I mean factual type stuff - cultural practises, beliefs etc. Preferably not too heavy, but enough to give me a flavour. I am sure wiser people on this forum could make some suggestions so I'd love to hear them please!

Kate

I've been told (by a Maori colleague) that Whale Rider is a good read and "Much better than the film." Sorry, can't remember the author.

I think I've got another couple of reccommended titles written down somewhere, I'll check them out and get back to you.

Cheers, Carole

Quote Originally Posted by Kate D View Post
    I mean factual type stuff - cultural practises, beliefs etc. Preferably not too heavy, but enough to give me a flavour. I am sure wiser people on this forum could make some suggestions so I'd love to hear them please!

Kate
    Have you considered the Mauri Ora course.

AFAIK it's free to residents and the resources provided are outstanding, many books etc on the Maori culture.

Ian

Whale Rider is by Witi Ihimaera, good book, not my favourite of his (that would be Sky Dancer). It's not a factual book about Maori custom and practice though...

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post

AFAIK it's free to residents and the resources provided are outstanding, many books etc on the Maori culture.

Ian
    That looks excellent - and good value, at $0!

I have a couple of good handbooks 'Tikanga Whakaaro' and 'Te Marae' which are very good for beginners, with information on protocol and beliefs.

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Nonf...words=te+marae

http://www.amazon.com/Tikanga-Whakaa.../dp/0195582128

I find some of the history books a bit hard going (print too small ), but it is always worth a look on Trademe. Heaps of books on music, waiata, myths and legends and you should find a few copies of the above. When you are done with them, you can easily sell them on too.

Also this website has lots of info

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/category/tid/133

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post

Ian
    That looks really good.
    Any one on here done it?
    I tried to give you 'reputation' but apparently I need to spread it around first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqi B View Post
    That looks really good.
    Any one on here done it?
    I tried to give you 'reputation' but apparently I need to spread it around first.
    My OH has done it, which is why I'm aware of it

The course material is really good, loads of top quality books and DVDs etc. You actually get boxes of stuff delivered over the length of the course.

BTW, there are several different similarly named courses, so I hope I've linked to the correct one.

Ian

Any other courses, either Maori culture or otherwise people can recommend?
    What's adult education like in Wellington? I used to use evening classes as a way to meet people. I've only recently finished studying with the Open University so will have study withdrawal symptoms if I don't do something once I get settled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast