Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Singapore airlines facts

Default Singapore airlines facts

It seems that Singapore airlines offer NO double baggage to NZers. They do offer but only to those going to OZ with the word migrant stamped on their australian visa. They allow 20 kilos and 5 unoficially, when asked whether that 5 was discretional at desk they said no. 25 is company policy. 26-28 is discretional and over 30 is definetly not allowed. and then open to 12 pound a kilo charge. This information was from head of customer services aftr I phoned Glassgow office and head office and got told two different things. No bags to exceed 32 kilos

london head office 0208 563 6767
    singapore head office 0065 65 427 233

two numbers worth having in your phone if put in a difficult position at the check in desk.

Dan

Dan - we flew 3 weeks ago with Singapore to AKL from Manchester. I rang the Manchester office after booking and THEY volunteered the extra 20Kg after I mentioned we were emigrating! It was noted in the booking and all was OK when we checked in!

Try ringing again and speaking to another person who fully knows what their rules are. Push it, as you really NEED that extra allowance!

Neil

Last May when we came over we enquired and we were given the same info as Dan, since then we have spoken to them on baggage allowance in another matter and they have said that it is discretionary up to 30 kg.

OK - but what I am saying is that we were given 40Kg without asking - all I suggest is that Dan calls and explains to a different Cust Service person that they are emigrating and that he knows many people have been given 40KG for emigration. Or he could just ignore my experience.......

Neil

Hey, calm Neil. I am not suggesting you are wrong or that Dan should ignore you I am just saying what our experience to the same question was. I can't answer any other way but our own experience. Did you get the name of the person you spoke to, because that would be a real asset for others if they could phone them directly.

OK - apologies - stressful morning :?

No - I never noted the name and it was back in Feb when I spoke, so memory is not that good ops: It was definately the Manchester office though!

Neil

Hi Guys,

Still think the hassle of the LA immigration process is worth it for the 64kg luggage allowance per person when you fly Air NZ.

Just my opinion.

Mark. :P

Have to agree Mark - booked our flights today with Air New Zealand via LA. Definately get 64kg per adult, 32kg per child + hand luggage, buggy and car seat (if you need them) - will save us a fortune on air freight.

Hope you manage to up the limits Dan

When we booked our tickets with Singapore Airlines we were told that because we were emigrating (one way tkts and PR visa stamped in passport) we would be given extra luggage allowance. However, the lady at the other end of the phone was unable to quote the exact allowance we would be allocated and instructed me to contact them closer to the date.

Didn't really think much of this at the time but I guess I should look into it. Not that it's really that much of a concern - we've thinned down our belongings (especially clothing) so much that I'm pretty sure one big suitcase will do all 4 of us

I'll let you know how I get on.

Diny

On this subject - its also worth checking the max weight allowed for each case - when we emigrated to OZ we had two huge suitcases & we had to empty some of the heavier stuff ( boots, drum machine(don't ask...)) out & into the hand baggage as the individual case weights were too heavy - we ended up with ridiculously heavy hand luggage but that seemed to be ok with them!!!
    (this was also with Singapore airlines)
    Sarah.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast