Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to move all my belongings from US to NZ

Question How to move all my belongings from US to NZ

Hi everyone:

I am moving to NZ --- completely. I have quite a bit of "stuff" (shame on me) that I don't want to get ride of. They'll take up quite a few boxes.

Please let me know how I can best ship all my stuff. Any international cargo options? I am clueless.

I went to usps.gov and found that per box it costs $238. Ouch!!

Thank you!

Michael

If you do a search on the forum for 'shipping' and 'US' you'll find a fair amount of information.
    http://www.enz.org/forum/search.php?searchid=976739

You may also try searching for rainier or UPAKWESHIP on this forum (not sure what other companies people have used from US) or having a google for international shipping.
    Last edited by BkyMonster; 22nd May 2009 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PortlandORUSA View Post
    I went to usps.gov and found that per box it costs $238. Ouch!!l
    "Ouch"?...

How much are you taking? We spent US$13,000 getting our stuff over here. We used 27 feet of a 40-foot container.

Holy cow that is alot of cash. How big of a house?

Jill

Quote Originally Posted by jillzq View Post
    Holy cow that is alot of cash. How big of a house?

Jill
    3-bed, 2-bath & a basement. Not that much, really. It included all our nice big solid oak forniture as well, but it's amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years. I know people who've easily fliled a 40-foot. There were 3 of us moving. The moving company packed everything up for us and unloaded it on other end. It also included insurance. It was a very fair price for the service received, and comparable to what people have paid from the UK. Just need to remember, it's not free to move, and neither should it be.

Hi Michael,

We moved over 3.5 years ago. We shipped our belongings in a 20 ft container from Arizona. It cost around $6000. We too had a 3 bedroom house, but it's just the 2 of us and the dogs (they costs $5000 to send). We didn't bring much furniture, as we are nomadic people by nature and never got too attached to any of it.

We however are in need of our ATV which we left with my husbands parents. We'd like to find someone coming over in the next 6 months that would be willing to put it in their container. (We'll pay a reasonable fee).

I'll look back at our paperwork and see what details I can find about the container and costs.

Cheers
    Rosemary

If your just shipping boxes you might want to check out Air NZ cargo. We sold most of our stuff before we left and shipped 20 boxes, which was around $2500 and we got our stuff a couple of days after we landed.

we're starting to research this as well-

m-squared and criketlover, what companies did you use?

and if anyone else can chime in with any other companies that they've shipped with from the US that would be helpful, so far my list is:

upakweship
    rainier
    air NZ cargo

most of our furniture is not worth taking, but I'd like to investigate our options.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeansGo View Post
    we're starting to research this as well-

m-squared and criketlover, what companies did you use?

and if anyone else can chime in with any other companies that they've shipped with from the US that would be helpful, so far my list is:

upakweship
    rainier
    air NZ cargo

most of our furniture is not worth taking, but I'd like to investigate our options.
    We used Rainier from WA to Chch (40 ft container) in January - and are using them to ship our stuff back (container left a few days ago). So far they have been great on both the U.S. and the N.Z. end. We looked into air freight for a few boxes but it was extremely expensive. Upakweship may be a better option if you aren't shipping much though...

Thanks, eassae!!

2 companies that I found out by poking around the web are:

Contour Logistics (www.sales@contour-usa.com)
    Ocean Star International (www.osishipping.com)

I just have about 10 (20"x20"x20") boxes. I got quotes from them. Pretty reasonable!! Anyone has any experiences with them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast