Thread: Furniture / Household Stores Wellington

Default Furniture / Household Stores Wellington

Can anyone recommend any good furniture / household goods stores in the Wellington area ??

Anything similar to IKEA ??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Can anyone recommend any good furniture / household goods stores in the Wellington area ??

Anything similar to IKEA ??

Thanks
    There is definitely no IKEA...

If you are looking for that sort of shop then the closest IMO is Freedom Furniture.

Plenty of other furniture stores depending on what you are looking for.

Harvey Norman is one of the better stores, Big Save do some good deals etc.

Ian

I'd second Freedom Furniture, having bought a load of furniture from there very recently. Higher quality than Ikea in general, but similar design sensibilities. The downside is that it is more expensive, but nothing outrageous. You'll find it in Thorndon Quay, alongside other furniture stores.

I didn't quite make it to Poirirua, where Harvey Normans and other furniture stores are, but friends of mine did buy sofas and other furniture from stores around there and were generally happy. However design wise, I don't think they are as modern as Freedom Furniture (in my opinion), but they were substantially cheaper, especially on sofas.

Briscoes is very reasonable for pots, pans and that sort of thing, especially when they have sales on. Moore-Wilson's sell more recognisable household names but at reasonable prices. If you want more expensive stuff, Lambton Quay shops like Living and Giving and Homestore do similar stuff you'd find in Selfridges in London. There's also Farmers on Cuba Street which is worth a visit - a bit like Briscoes I'd say.

Ramo - Thanks that give's us a few different stores to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramo View Post
    Briscoes is very reasonable for pots, pans and that sort of thing, especially when they have sales on.
    Which is every other week or so

Briscoes has a different business model. Big markup on everything, brought back in line with competitors during frequent "sales" of 30-50% off. It's OK to shop there, but don't ever pay full price and don't believe that you're necessarily getting a great deal during a sale. I will say that their store environments are excellent and it's a nice place to shop.

It might be worth your while to check inside places like LV Martin, Noel Leeming, The Warehouse, Plastic Box, and even the big hardware stores like Mitre 10. For smaller miscellaneous items for which a cheap Chinese import will do, you can save a lot of money at the $2 stores.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
    Briscoes has a different business model. Big markup on everything, brought back in line with competitors during frequent "sales" of 30-50% off. It's OK to shop there, but don't ever pay full price and don't believe that you're necessarily getting a great deal during a sale. I will say that their store environments are excellent and it's a nice place to shop.

It might be worth your while to check inside places like LV Martin, Noel Leeming, The Warehouse, Plastic Box, and even the big hardware stores like Mitre 10. For smaller miscellaneous items for which a cheap Chinese import will do, you can save a lot of money at the $2 stores.
    Very true. I do want to add that I got a "Red" brand kettle from The Warehouse and it fried out - went "POP!" - after a year. I know that's not bad, but got one from Briscoes and so far, so good. It's a Sunbeam. Ian will point out that I've not been here 2 years yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Ramo - Thanks that give's us a few different stores to look at.
    No problemo, happy shopping

oh and while you're out there, don't forget to get an underblanket warmer. not sure how i'd have survived this past week without one. they're doing cheap ones at briscoes right now on 'sale', cheap either way you look at it.