Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blenheim - what's it like?

Question Blenheim - what's it like?

my Kiwi OH has been offered a job in Blenheim so it looks like we'll be moving much earlier than planned - in about 8-12 weeks instead of 12 months!

I've been to Blenheim a couple of times on weekend trips when last in NZ - but didn't see much more than the vineyards & the bottom of my glass!

I'm a city girl at heart so struggling to get my head around the move. I'd appreciate any advise on where are the best locations to live etc around Blenheim. Are there any benefits to living in Picton over Blenheim?

Thanks, linda

I just spent a week there working. The rows of grapes covering the surrounding countryside are beautiful, and Blenheim has a nice downtown. But, I'll be frank, too many of the members of the populace that I ran across would not have been out of place on the Jeremy Kyle Show. And one of the professionals I met (a Kiwi originally from out of town) expressed some frustration at the inability to form a satisfying social circle.

That said, getting a little lifestyle block outside town might be quite appealing. The town's relatively high number of sunshine hours are a bonus too.

I've spent just a little time in Picton and a little in Blenheim. I would pick Picton over Blenheim any day, there's just more liveliness there. Plus I happen to love being near the sea, so that would do it for me every time, too.

I'd certainly choose Picton every time; it's a beautiful little place with a great feel about it. The port and the railway give it a busy, thriving vibe and the views of the Sounds are fantastic.

Default what is blenheim like?

Hi
    I have been living in Blenheim for nearly 1.5 years now. If you would like to know more, send me a PM. Have lived in Welly two years before that.

Of course everyone's experience of a place is different, but I originally am a city girl as well, so could maybe put it in perspective for you.

I know Picton quite well also, so could make a comparision for you when you let me know what you are after.

Cheers,
    Anita

Hi Linda

We have been living in Marlborough for 3 years now. And while we love the area, please do not have high expectations for Blenheim/Picton.

Blenheim is a dull, dull, dull provincial city, limited choices in shopping and entertainment!

Picton is small and touristy, crazy busy in the Summer, dead in the Winter. Also it rains in Picton - alot (whilst Blenheim can be having a beautiful day).

It's not all that bad (were not on Prozac or anything), Nelson which is lovely cosmopolitan city is just over a hour away. And we love the area, as we have got into the whole outdoors thing - diving, fishing, horse riding. And it's a awesome place to have kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    Blenheim is a dull, dull, dull provincial city, limited choices in shopping and entertainment!
    Well, Blenheim does have a movie theatre with what, 3 screens? There's your choice in entertainment

Actually, I was just thinking that the area might be heaven if you were into cycling - no hills, really - I can't remember what the wind was like, though.

I am fond of the top of the South Island, but, yeah, if you want culture, Nelson is a much better bet. In fact Nelson is pretty much the bees knees as far as NZ towns go.

In January I drove from Havelock to Picton. It took 90 minutes. Please look on wises.co.nz to see how far it is (it might shock you). Distances are very far on the SI, so beware before you settle on somewhere...

thanks for all the feedback. I didn't get a chance to log on yesterday, so its great to know that some people have settled there! Today I am leaning towards Picton over Blenheim - I think its the closeness to the water and the greeness of it all plus, being Irish, the rain doesn't bother me so much. Though one of the benefits of moving is so we don't have long commutes to work.

Alive&Kicking - I'll PM you once I get to my 5th post!

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll have 1000s more questions on life in Marlborough over the next few weeks.

Really the best advice I could give you right now, is 'just come over here, rent a place somewhere, look around, get a feeling for the Marlborough region and decide then whether you want to stay here longer time and in what part of the Marlborough'. Don't make any long term decisions yet!! Go with the flow!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast