Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck/goose fat

Default Duck/goose fat

Anyone know of anywhere in the Auckland area I can get my hands on this stuff? My drop dead gorgeous roast potatoes just aren't the same

Quote Originally Posted by 925dancer View Post
    Anyone know of anywhere in the Auckland area I can get my hands on this stuff? My drop dead gorgeous roast potatoes just aren't the same
    You could try Sabato

Ian

I'll have to be feeling flush Thanks though, not too far to travel to get it!

OMG for a moment I thought you were going to say you used it to keep warm

Bob

Try Somerset Cottage Bethlehem Tauranga site.........i know they do it i buy it and they have a shop on line system.........not sure if they have that product on their send through the post slot though but you can mail them am sure they will if they can.......

Quote Originally Posted by bob_the_engineer View Post
    OMG for a moment I thought you were going to say you used it to keep warm

Bob
    While swimming across to Australia?!

It's currently duck shooting season, so you'll probably be able to get some from a decent butcher. I know my butcher sells it - and for a lot less than the prices at Sabato.

Why not kill two birds with one stone (pardon the pun!), cook a duck on a rack with a roasting dish beneath...you'll get loads of it, then just store it in the fridge. You'll be able to get enough of the stuff within 15 minutes to do your roasties for the same meal. I think we got about 3/4 pint off the last one we did at xmas.

With there only being one of me, roasting a whole duck to extract its fat is a somewhat extravagant exercise! Nice though though, I'm sure the cats would like me to do it this way

I have found a couple of places that do it now other than Sabato. There's Faro supermarket in Mount Wellington which also does all sorts of other yummy things and a new little posh supermarket just up the road in Greenlane called Nosh where I got some today and will imminently be making roast spuds in duck fat

Jealous! I wish there was a Nosh near to me, but ever hopeful now they've opened one at Greenlane they will expand further.

http://noshfoodmarket.com/index.php?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast