Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to wear to a job interview?

I agree - a suit is the way to go for interviews.

White shirt, tie (not a "funny" one), clean black shoes, neat haircut, pressed trousers, showered, shaved and deodourised. I 've always tarted myself up even when applying for deadend jobs. Check their website and try to get a couple of questions sorted in case they ask. Don't be over familiar, be respectful and polite. And remember- they want an employee as much as you want a job.

If you go casual in maybe right or it maybe wrong. A suit is never wrong.

Always wear a suit - even if you will never wear one for the job.

My previous job had a "no tie" policy - ties weren't allowed on the premises! I knew this, but still turned up in a suit and tie and simply took the tie off when met at reception by the interviewer. It was odd wearing a three piece suit without the tie but definitely worth it as I got the job.

It shows that you care about the job enough to make an effort to dress smartly for the interview.

I just asked casually by phone or email what the office dress code was and then went for the same level or a bit smarter. My boss told me I wouldn't have got my new job if I'd worn a suit so it pays to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by ricky1981 View Post
    I just asked casually by phone or email what the office dress code was and then went for the same level or a bit smarter. My boss told me I wouldn't have got my new job if I'd worn a suit so it pays to ask!
    That's pretty unusual, though, wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    As an employing manager I would agree entirely. I expect people to make an effort when attending interviews, so dressing the best you can afford to is a good idea. Oh and another thing that gets on my nerves is people who can't turn up on time. One guy recently turned up 5 mins late for the first interview, was lucky enough to get a second interview and then blew it completely by turning up 7 mins late for his second interview - he was history....It's not rocket science, turn up 5 mins early to Reception and everyone is happy..........Oh and if you own a suit, wear it.

Make sure you always wear spangly underpants

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    Make sure you always wear spangly underpants
    Yup, that'll do it every time, and also lucky socks are good! Don't forget our first America's cup victory all came down to the socks!

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    Totally, it was the only interview I didn't wear a suit for but it was also the job I wanted the most so I'm glad I asked.

As others have said, turn up 5 minutes early, be friendly to everyone you meet and an email afterwards to say thanks and maybe cover any areas you want to highlight (strengths you now feel are relevant but didn't cover in your CV perhaps?).

Good luck to everyone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast