Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to wear to a job interview?

Default What to wear to a job interview?

My father would kill me if he knew I was not wearing a suit.

But I keep hearing about how casual things are in NZ...and I would rather not take a suit on the plane if it isn't required.

So what is standard attire for a job interview in either health care or academia?

Thanks,

Mike

Here are some comments about interview rig from old threads. What it seems to boil down to is that Kiwis can be casual when working, but that it pays not to take an interview casually.

http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-10384.html
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?p=294315
    http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-11524.html

From someone who has interviewed many people over the years, it is much better to be over than under-dressed. How you dress for the interview may very well be taken as and indication of how serious you are about the job. At the same time, you don't want to be wearing a suit when everyone else is wearing jeans and polos.

I suggest you ask. Maybe not the person with whom you will be interviewing but perhaps the person that answers the phone at the place you are applying. They will have a good ideas as to what is appropriate.

I agree

OH had a video interview and everyone said open neck shirt, no suit etc etc. Against all this advice OH wore a suit because he has ALWAYS worn a suit to important events like interviews etc. I don't know if it made the difference or not, but he must have impressed them because he got the job.

I personally think, it's better to be overdressed. In my opinion, it shows you are taking it seriously and that you mean business.

*nods* even though the dress code generally at work here is fairly casual I would stil;l advise dressing up for the interview - you can always take the jacket off in the interview to relax the look a bit, but you can't really do much to smarten up once you're there

Personnally, I dressed smart - trouser suit.

As a result, I was able to concentrate on being interviewed, and not worrying about whether I'd worn a smart enough outfit. There is definately something to be said that you act how you feel ... if you feel good, you act more confident.

and let's be honest .. if you were interviewing someone, would you mark them down for wearing smart atire? No! But if there came, looking a tad scruffy? I'd perhaps take that as a reflection on their attitude .. rightly or wrongly, but first impressions really do count.

I wore a long sleeve shirt with a tie, formal trousers, and a smart jacket. it paid off too. I now wear safety boots, denim jeans and a golf shirt to work most days, and shorts in summer. Casual is definitely the Kiwi way, but not in an interview situation. A recent, decent haircut can't hurt either!

Yep, smart attire I reckon. Mental health is notorious for 'casual' dress but interviews are the time to show you mean business.

short hair, sharp suit, shiny shoes, shades

I have similar believe: don't make dressing issue be the reason for me on losing an employment opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-and-Lou View Post
    Personnally, I dressed smart - trouser suit.

As a result, I was able to concentrate on being interviewed, and not worrying about whether I'd worn a smart enough outfit. There is definately something to be said that you act how you feel ... if you feel good, you act more confident.

and let's be honest .. if you were interviewing someone, would you mark them down for wearing smart atire? No! But if there came, looking a tad scruffy? I'd perhaps take that as a reflection on their attitude .. rightly or wrongly, but first impressions really do count.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast