Thread: Teacher Recruitment Agencies

Default Teacher Recruitment Agencies

Anyone used one?
    When they arrived in NZ or from the UK?

Would welcome any thoughts.
    Ta

Since I'm still in the UK haven't properly used one but have had a fair amount of email contact with one agency (from NZ expo) and then when I was in NZ last October to activate my visa I went to visit them. It was all very informal and not very conclusive purely because of uncertainty about when we were moving etc etc but I found it useful; it gave me reassurance about moving and I found out abit more about where I'd be on the pay scale, what I still need to get from here (statements of service mainly to help with pay). I think they are mainly Auckland based and we may well end us in Welly now but I shall keep in contact until I know anything. My thoughts are it may be useful for supply stuff, either day to day or short term before/while looking for something permanent. I haven't thought much about it for a while because our move is probably just over a year away now but would be interested in seeing what others say.

Was in touch with Select Education before we moved here. Had interview with them by phone and was in regular touch by email and phone. They arranged one phone interview for me whilst still in UK. Certainly the girl I was in contact with was very helpful with all my questions. Most jobs were in Auckland which was not where we wanted to be, so didn't really progress.

Thanks for that
    Am arriving on Visitors Visa so need to hit the ground running so to speak.
    Am trying to get as much as I can set up and ready before I go

Is one better than the others?
    Can you join more than 1?

Napiers - Education Personnel have a supply/relief agency in Welly
    www.edperson.co.nz if that is of any use?

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    Thanks for that
    Am arriving on Visitors Visa so need to hit the ground running so to speak.
    Am trying to get as much as I can set up and ready before I go

Is one better than the others?
    Can you join more than 1?

Napiers - Education Personnel have a supply/relief agency in Welly
    www.edperson.co.nz if that is of any use?
    Thanks for that.

The agency I've been in contact with is Oasis. I don't know what, if anything, sets them apart from any other agency - it was purely chance that I talked to them; they were at the expo and so I chatted to them! I don't know about joining more than one - I would imagine you can but you never know.

When are you off and where to?

When? - when the house is sold or rented
    Plan at the moment is possibly, maybe, perhaps aim to leave UK at Aut 1/2 term to arrive in NZ for Nov when hopefully most jobs will be advertised
    Where? - I'm flexible - I'll go where the job is

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    When? - when the house is sold or rented
    Plan at the moment is possibly, maybe, perhaps aim to leave UK at Aut 1/2 term to arrive in NZ for Nov when hopefully most jobs will be advertised
    Where? - I'm flexible - I'll go where the job is
    It sounds so easy when you put it like that! If only .........
    Good luck with it all - especially the house side of things.

Not sure if agencies really make that much of a difference. Schools in New Zealand hire their own board of trustees and do their own hiring. Every vacancy is placed in the Education Gazette (also available online here)

You can contact the schools you're interested in directly. Most positions are available in Auckland (just a numbers things) and there tend to be more positions in the less desirable locations (lower decile schools in South Auckland) usually as many may not want to teach there. However, lower decile schools receive the most government funding, and these schools also tend to be more willing to hire overseas applicants as their local applicant numbers may be low.

Having said that however, I work at a high decile school that recently (in the last year) hired 3 overseas teachers...me included
    Last edited by beanbeanz; 17th June 2009 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks for that info Beanbeanz