Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing electrical plugs from UK to NZ ones

Question Changing electrical plugs from UK to NZ ones

OK so i bought a plug end for $4 from the Warehouse. Went to swap the plug on my GF's hair straighteners to free up an adapter, screwed in the Neutral and Live (there was no Earth) only to discover that there was no where to put the fuse on the new plug socket?

Do NZ plugs normally not use fuses? Is it safe to swap or a fire risk?
    Last edited by pleccy2000; 27th May 2009 at 03:32 PM.

no great isn't it have no changed 25 odd plugs none with fuses had to cut plugs off some appliances as they had those stupid grip things

As far as I know, the UK is the only country in the world that puts fuses in plugs (I haven't come across any others). It is a very good idea. Changing to an NZ plug makes it no more or less a fire risk than any other bit of unfused equipment.

wow. interesting to know that my 2500w oil heater has no fuse!!!! thanks for the info.

On a side note, is there anywhere that sells black plug ends? I can only find white ones at the warehouse and dick smiths!

Quote Originally Posted by pleccy2000 View Post
    wow. interesting to know that my 2500w oil heater has no fuse!!!! thanks for the info.
    Are you sure it is 2500W? This is too much for normal NZ mains connection.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Are you sure it is 2500W? This is too much for normal NZ mains connection.

Ian
    It might be 2400w but pretty sure it's up there in that region. I'll check tonight

It's not the big load appliances that you should worry about. Your 2400W heater drawing 10A is (sort of) protected by the fuse in the fuse box. A small appliance such as a stereo, TV or fridge, faulty and drawing 10A will almost certainly go on fire and no fuse will blow!

We found that the easiest way of doing it was to change the end of a UK multiplug adaptor. That way we haven't needed to change too many UK plugs to crappy NZ ones (the plugs are tiny and fiddly and a hassle to change when you have big fat fingers like mine!).

You can get black plugs from Hammer Hardware as I changed a few of mine to black plugs for aesthetic reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    We found that the easiest way of doing it was to change the end of a UK multiplug adaptor.
    Oh thats a good idea, thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    It's not the big load appliances that you should worry about. Your 2400W heater drawing 10A is (sort of) protected by the fuse in the fuse box. A small appliance such as a stereo, TV or fridge, faulty and drawing 10A will almost certainly go on fire and no fuse will blow!
    I certainly wouldn't be worried about small appliances such as stereos and TVs these all have internal fuses which are rated much lower than the one that you would get in the plug.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast