Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medicals - In-laws Immigrating - Retired

does anyone know a website that tells you how much medications really cost NZ? then i could work out how much medication my in-laws need $$$ wise.

ta

As far as I'm aware, you CAN pay for your own medication in NZ - for instance, if you have a condition that can be better treated by something that isn't funded by the NZ health service - but that doesn't get anyone off the necessity for passing this medical.

Honestly, there are lots of us, us included, that wish certain parts of the immigration rules didn't stop us doing what we want in various ways. I can understand your wish to go in to bat for your f-i-l, but you truly aren't going to get anywhere fighting the NZ government's system. You'd do better encouraging f-i-l to get a bit fitter, as it may well help if he shows a bit of an improvement.

There was a National proposed plan to allow a retirement visa for self sufficient migrants, but haven't heard hide nor hair of that since the initial press release.
    http://www.prlog.org/10122465-nation...on-policy.html

thanks for that link - it lead me off in a whole other direction, as the web tends to do.

Cool

Hi

My husband and I had our medicals in February 2009 (Parent Visa application). We are both in our 60's. The previous year I joined Weightwatchers and lost 3 stone to get my BMI under 30. I think the BMI should be 35 or under - and they are really strict with this. They will probably have to loose weight if it is over 40. My hubby also lost nearly 2 stone - we knew we were eventually going to apply like your family is - so what better incentive for them to start exercising/swimming/eating sensibly. To be able to joint their family in New Zealand is a great reason to keep at it.

When I had my medical my waist measurement was 1cm too big for their guidelines and the Doctor didn't even pull the tape measure tight!! I had to have an extra blood test. I was very anxious and my blood pressure shot up - it is normally fine so Doc took in 6 times. 3 sitting up and 3 at rest on the examination couch. When it finally calmed down. Phew!!! Fortunately I had given him my BP readings from my Practice Nurse over the last 3 years on a printout from my doctor's surgery and they had been normal. I am on Blood pressure tablets.

The thing is for them to start now - altering their lifestyle. Swimming is one of the best exercises they can do. Especially if they have had an operation. If they really, really want to join you I am sure they will do it. Starting from now Good luck with your plans and theirs'.

Thanks Trendynana. They are waiting for their UK Police checks and then they are going to submit. He has already started on a diet so that should help! On the med notes it says for him to go back and be rechecked in 3 mths. Does anyone know if he then sends that on even if they dont have a case officer at that time?

You have to submit all the information at the same time - Police Checks results, Medicals that have been done, sponsorship form and all the other things they ask for.

If you mean on the medical report from the doctor that did the medical - I did not read my report as the envelope was stamped across the opening and I assumed you could not read what the doctor had put? However, if he has told him verbally re his weight - then start now because probably the Visa/Case Officer will ask for this evidence or it will be referred to the Medical Assessor and they will ask for it.

So remember the date when he had his medical and book an appointment with his GP 3 months from that date to get whatever they wanted tested. Then ask the GP to do a report on headed notepaper of the outcome of his visit and his prognosis. There may be a small charge for this - I paid £10 for a letter from my GP.

I would then wait and see what happens but you at least have the letter if/when they ask for it. Or you could just send it in even though they have not asked for it yet and they will, I assume put it with his application.

Quote Originally Posted by Trendynana View Post
    If you mean on the medical report from the doctor that did the medical - I did not read my report as the envelope was stamped across the opening and I assumed you could not read what the doctor had put?
    Just to note that whilst the doctor does normally seal the medicals, there is no requirement from NZIS for the medicals to be sealed. You paid for them, they are yours, so if you want to open and read them, then go ahead.

(IMO) It's actually worth opening them to check that they have been filled in correctly.

Ian

Its strange that the doctors stamp was stamped about 6 times across the envelope where it is sealed - why did they do that? I just assumed that we were not supposed to open them. Lets hope that he has filled them in correctly otherwise there will be a delay!!

Maybe you cannot open them if you are emigrating to Australia - I am sure there is a country in the back of my mind that you cannot open the medical reports. In someways I would rather not read what has been written about us - otherwise I would probably dwell on it for a further two years waiting to be allocated a Visa Officer!! (Parent visa - long wait)!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trendynana View Post
    Maybe you cannot open them if you are emigrating to Australia - I am sure there is a country in the back of my mind that you cannot open the medical reports. In someways I would rather not read what has been written about us - otherwise I would probably dwell on it for a further two years waiting to be allocated a Visa Officer!! (Parent visa - long wait)!!
    You are correct, for Australia the medicals must be sealed.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast