Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Working for Families Tax Credits'...

Default 'Working for Families Tax Credits'...

We're hoping folk can answer this based on previous experience... is the following correct?

Reside in NZ for 183 days or more before being eligible to apply for 'Working for Families Tax Credits'?

Require a 'Residence Permit' before applying for the above?

We currently have the 'Residence Visa' & Returning Resident's Visa' stickers in our passports, but having spoken to someone at the weekend about Family Tax Credits they happened to mention the above... just after clarification before we start completing forms, etc.

Thanks
    Last edited by Red Devil; 3rd June 2009 at 02:29 PM.

I was going to reply that NZ PRs are entitled from landing but thought I should double check that as it's been 2 1/2 yrs since we entered NZ and I found the following information on the IRD website ( http://www.ird.govt.nz/wff-tax-credi...s/eligibility/ ), which says, in summary, that if you're caring for a NZ PR child then you're entitled. The quote below is about the residency eligibility, there are 3 other criteria (dependant child (*generally* under 18), principal child carer and also over 16 (parent that is!). If you have kids with PR I think you're entitled from landing in NZ- we were in 2007.

HTH.
    Residency
    You must meet at least one of the following residency requirements:

• You are both a New Zealand resident and a New Zealand tax resident and have been in New Zealand continuously for at least 12 months at any time.
    • You are caring for a child who is both present and resident in New Zealand.

Note
    If you and your children are in New Zealand unlawfully or hold only a temporary permit or visa, you are not a New Zealand resident for Working for Families Tax Credits purposes. If you're not sure whether you meet the residency requirements, please call us on 0800 227 773. You can call us:

Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm, and
    Saturday from 9am to 1pm.

Thanks Kanga... I've just checked our passports and sure enough we have the 'Residence Permit' stamps obtained from NZ Immigration when we entered the country in early March of this year.

I'm somewhat confused though, as Inland Revenue have just returned my call and confirmed that we need to reside in NZ for 12 months before claiming for 'Working for Families Tax Credits'... sounds like the rules are changing by the minute!

Has anyone else recently applied and what timescale did you apply from first entering NZ?

Thanks

We've applied (although have asked for the years lump sum, rather than trying to work out the partial year earning etc).

I understood that if you have a child whom has PR, then you can claim. We arrived in August, and are claiming from then, until the end of the tax year.

It should be noted that if you get tax credits then you can't take advantage of the transitional resident rules on foreign income.

So, if you have cash / house rental / investments offshore, then you need to work out if you are better off not having to pay NZ tax on the income or getting the tax credits as, unfortunately, you can't have both!

... thanks Jon-and-Lou but I'm confused.com even more!

I wonder whether we're best completing the paperwork and seeing what happens, afterall we have PR.

We had to have PR and have been here for 12 months before we could claim.

Do you have residency? Do you have a job? and you have young (under 16?) children? Yes - then you can apply.

I think tbh it seems to be inconsistently applied and best to go by individual applications and the response you get Simon, I'll flick you an email giving examples why cos don't really want to share on open forum

Karenx

I called them three times about this (the 12 month rule), and pretty much got three different answers. In the end, they let us claim with the explanation that my OH is a Kiwi, and there is no residency requirement for returning Kiwis.

I think it entirely depends on who you talk to...

Daniela

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast